Author Topic: Pat/Shush for 4 week old  (Read 1257 times)

Offline cbsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
I have just started the EASY method with my 4 week old DD.  I used pat/shush to get her to sleep last night and it worked!  Question about the method:  When she wakes for NF, which she did last night, do I use pat/shush to get her back to sleep?  She was dozing at the breast (nursed about 10 good minutes).  I put her in her crib and she woke, so I did pat/shush but it took 40 minutes to get her back to sleep.  Also, should pat/shush be used at naptimes as well?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Pat/Shush for 4 week old
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 21:44:12 pm »
Welcome to BW and congrats on your new LO.
Yes you can use shh/pat to get her to sleep every time you need to. If you are able to put her in the cot and she falls asleep herself then do it but otherwise shh/pat is the way to go.
She'll still be waking for several feeds at night so if she is still awake afterwards and needs help getting back to sleep then again you can use shh/pat. I wouldn't be trying to get her back to sleep without the feed at night just yet (but I don't think that is what you meant anyway is it?).

Ali
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cbsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 23:30:42 pm »
Thank you so, so much.  Nursing her to sleep and saying a prayer every night and every nap when I transferred her to the crib that she stays asleep was killing me.  Then I read BW and realized there was a better way!!  How liberating!!!
Yes, I am feeding her when she wakes.  One more question, how does pat/shush not become a prop?  Or should I not be too worried with that at this point?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Pat/Shush for 4 week old
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
With shh/pat it's easy to reduce the shh/pat slowly and begin to stop before they are fully asleep etc. so you don't need to worry about it becoming a prop at this stage.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011