Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65755 times)

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2012, 16:44:18 pm »
Thanks Ali, that's reassuring  :D I'm not happy for her to wean just yet, thought i had a few months to go. Will stick with it.
Kirsty x

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2012, 19:15:16 pm »
Agree with Ali for both pp. We teethed easily until the canine pain train.

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:23 am »
Thanks KM.

Well, she fed on one side yesterday morning very happily but refused and got very upset yesterday pm. I tried a df which was a disaster. She again became upset and then it took 30 mins to settle her back down.

And this morning, for the first time ever, she refused to feed completely  :'( :'( She just got upset as soon as i moved her towards me  :'(

So i hand expressed in the shower but have no idea if it's enough or if she'll ever come back to it. Really don't want this to be it. My 3 older ones all dropped to one feed first and stopping was gradual. This is awful  :'(
Kirsty x

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
I was able to go a whole weekend without feeding and my supply ok at that age. The stimulation is most important. She may come back to it. Have you given pain meds? Any chance you could be pg or Ad on her way? Sometimes that affects taste and supply.

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2012, 09:20:44 am »
Not pregnant and AF was last week  :-\ I gave pan meds yesterday eve but they did not seem to make a difference.

Good to hear that you were okay after a whole weekend, thanks  :)
Kirsty x

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2012, 13:39:57 pm »
Thanks for the info Ali :)  Brinn slept through the night on 2/22, but then woke every 2 hrs last night.  However, she started running low grade fever so I think last night was due to illness.  With little ones, it's one thing after another! LOL. A little sleep deprivation never killed anybody. She's pretty happy otherwise....with the exception of being overly clingy to me for the last 2 weeks. Even if my husband entertains her, she'll become upset if I leave the room. I think my little girl is just hurdling the next stage of development. I hope, anyway!

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2012, 19:16:00 pm »
The pp whose babies had nursing strikes, did you give an alternative to breast milk? Fae has water and smoothie during the day but i have not replaced the missed bf with anything (apart from water). She has not had a bf for 2 full days now, am wondering if i should give her cow's milk. I don't want to because i want her to bf again.
Kirsty x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2012, 00:39:50 am »
Well after 12 months milk isn't really a necessity anymore as such so she could just be self weaning a bit ??? Babies do need a level of milk solids though but i cant remember how much and it can be given in the form of food ie cheese, yogourt, or cows milk/smoothies etc. does she reject when you offer? We just kept the BT feed as Z isn't interested during the day maybe try in the evening?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2012, 19:41:37 pm »
I didn't really have  strike (the weekend was they I had to go away) so we did offer something in its place. As Sara says though they don't need milk per se at this age so if you want to encourage the BF I would not offer another milk drink. Rather make sure you include yogurt or cheese or green leafy veg etc to  maintain the calcium level in the diet. I think it is 3 portions of dairy at this age that they need for calcium requirements.

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2012, 20:00:05 pm »
thanks for the info. She refused again today  :'( :'( I have been hand expressing and she has been drinking that. I'm only getting a tiny bit but it's better than throwing it away.

I'm starting to feel so sad now, it doesn't seem like she is going to start again. It just feels wrong that she has stopped so suddenly and abruptly, i expected her to wean gradually like her sister and brothers did. Will stick at it for a bit longer but it's starting to feel hopeless  :(
Kirsty x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2012, 23:15:05 pm »
Hugs, they are all different Hun, and it's not a reflection of you or your milk, it's just some kids stop being interested. I had a friend who's LO self weaned at 9 months, she would not feed, and prior to this loved BF. eventually she gave in and LO got a few bottles. But bang on 12 months the kid refused all milk. ::)
***Sara***

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2012, 14:22:01 pm »
My DD self-weaned from breast to cow milk but it was somewahe gradual (1 month). With DS I had breast refusals and the HV suggested that it couldbe due to teething if onesided (or something else bothering baby on one side). So to feed on the non-preferred side transfer the baby like a rugby ball so they still face the same way. It helped me. Is the room quiet, dark, no stimulation? Is there anything else to explain it? I wonder due to the suddenness of it if it is to do with teeth, or ears or some other mouth problems? How is her diet otherwise? If it all makes no sense and you are worried could you take her to GP?

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2012, 19:16:18 pm »
well, it looks like we are done  :'( :'( :'(

I have really tried everything  :(

I was hopeful because i offered a bf this afternoon, she was sitting up and started playing, 'tasting' milk if i squirted it!  It didn't convince her to latch on though, she just is not interested and if i lay her down to do it she just screams. She hasn't taken a bf since last Thurs morning so i guess i have to give up some time.  ??? It's a sad day  :'( Part of me thinks i should keep trying but..  :-\

I needed the weaning process more than her! I stopped bf my 3 older ones at about this age but i had envisaged feeding Fae for quite a bit longer as she had given no signs of wanting to stop. ::) I wish i had had some idea that she was going to stop so abruptly, i would have relished those last few feeds iykwim  :'(

It's a sad day  :'(

Thank you for the advice and support xx      

Suppose i could go and do some bra shopping...  :-\
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 19:18:01 pm by mumto4cuddlebugs »
Kirsty x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2012, 21:32:13 pm »
I wish i had had some idea that she was going to stop so abruptly, i would have relished those last few feeds iykwim
I know exactly what you mean Kirsty. I felt like that even though I was encouraging him to wean and was so ready to stop. I still wish I had known that my last feed would be the very last yk? And I am still BFing DS2 so still have a baby BFing and still I felt the loss.
Big hugs hun. You have given her such a fab start to life. Well done. And yes go and do some bra shopping!! :D
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2012, 22:37:24 pm »
HUGS :-*
and yes
Suppose i could go and do some bra shopping...
Great idea! :)
***Sara***