Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65752 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 23:15:12 pm »
I have no experience of this either Charli. C did go through a short phase of asking at inopportune moments but we were still doing 4xBF/day at the time at around 12mo. Since we dropped a couple he doesn't really ask during the day so much. Is she still being very demanding now?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 17:25:47 pm »
I would say it is likely a phase, maybe she has a developmental spurt or just a bit more SA at the moment and wants more comfort. If you don't want to increase the numbers of feeds I would consider giving her a morning feed. Maybe you can give her some more cuddle times and hopefully this will pass soon.
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 05:01:14 am »
I'm wondering if I should go for dropping one or both daytime feeds. The past few days I basically have to pin the poor guy down to keep him nursing. Just getting to letdown is tough. He has been teething too but it's really been gradual that he seems to rather have a snack with his brother and forget about nursing. Morning and BT are still going strong. I've been toying with moving the feed to before his morning nap even though that might result in a feed to sleep situation. He'll give that nap up eventually anyways, right?

Advice? We have been pretty consistent 'scheduled' in our feeds (8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm) so he really never asks (although can get fussy if I'm running late). How many feeds did you do at this age and when?

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 17:16:48 pm »
Well he is 1 yr old now so theoretically he doesn't need any breastmilk or any other milk if he gets his calcium from other sources. I would say let him wean the two day time feeds and just keep the morning and BT one if that's what he wants. We still did 3 feeds a day at that age but it is completely fine to have less. And I wouldn't want to start the habit of feeding before the nap just so you can keep the feed, but that's just me. :P

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 20:37:11 pm »
I went back to work at 13mo and so we dropped from 4 to 2 feeds around then no problem.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 21:18:38 pm »
Shannon, we dropped from 4-3 feeds just after 12mo. I kept the after nap feed as well as BT and morning until recently. Now we normally do morning and BT only with an after-nap feed about 1x week if he asks. Your LO is definitely old enough to just have 2 feeds if that is what you want to do.

Last night and this morning Cadan asked for a sippy of milk or water at BF time. He still had his BF as well though.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 21:27:48 pm »
Maybe the hot weather at the moment Ali?

I am still reading along and will offer BTDT help as I can but we are now 5days without a BF. K was getting too demanding and it was causing so many tears wanting it all the time and me saying no. He isn't over the moon about the wean and still asks when he is OT but it is improving. Guess I don't belong here anymore (sniff).

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 21:33:13 pm »
We always need BTDT advice KM.

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 22:27:57 pm »
Totally understand you are a bit sad, but on the bright side hopefully the struggles will stop and you'll end up having a better time with Khalam. Good luck for the rest of the weaning.

Hayden always has cows milk and breastmilk at BT, oh and water. He really drinks a ton before bed. Luckily I am not even near to try and have him out of diapers at night. :P

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:29 am »
he doesn't need any breastmilk or any other milk if he gets his calcium from other sources. I would say let him wean the two day time feeds and just keep the morning and BT one if that's what he wants

That's part of my worry. He doesn't get a whole lot of calcium etc otherwise because he is MSPI (milk soy protein intolerant) with other allergies. I am giving him a bit of rice milk mixed with coconut milk in a sippy, but he doesn't have any other foods that would be that great I don't think (only nuts and broccoli is coming to mind at the moment as other good non-dairy sources??).

I think he really should have at least 3 milk feeds and it may not make sense to even do that until he's ready for one nap, but trying to convince him to nurse right now is so tough. I can hardly get to let-down, even with compressions. He would rather smother me in kisses and bear-hug/wrestles (which is totally delightful, I admit).

Hugs to you KM...

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 17:45:01 pm »
There are some other non-diary sources of calcium like figs, leafy green vegetables (kale, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens; kale even has more calcium per ounce than milk), bok choy, turnip, okra, sweet potatoes, oranges, some fish and sea foods (salmon with bones (i.e. canned), rainbow trout, blue crab, clams, sardines), soy and white beans, tofu prepared with sulphate/nigari, blackstrap molasses, fortified oatmeal and cereal, fortified juices and probably even more. I understand that your LO is still pretty young and might not eat lots of these things but I think you can definitely get around not having milk and still getting enough calcium. Obviously some of these foods have more and some less, so maybe you can do a bit of research to see which ones work well for your child.

I would always go for the hugs and kisses rather than breastfeeding right now. :) Hayden is becoming more demanding as well and I have a feeling that it will end up being almost the same situation as KM's once the baby is there. We'll see...

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 20:01:41 pm »
Hi girls!

Thought I'd update on us :) We were struggling with the supply dip I had when getting PG and DD was getting really frustrated and angry and sad. Ended up dropping the mid-day 3pm feed about 2 weeks ago as she wasn't really interested and there was nothing there hardly it felt like. Easily dropped it, she only asked for it once since. I let her have it but as there wasn't much she came off after 1 min and hasn't asked in the day since. So we're down to wake up and BT and now usually 1 NF rather than the 2 she was having before, and last night she STTN!!! ;D ALL night 7:45pm-6:45am. A bit deal for me who's not done any nighttime sleep training with her and have just fed at NWs. She finally did it on her own :D No idea if it'll continue but it was a nice sleep for me!

I'm happy to continue morning and BT, and those feeds are much better now. Her frustration has stopped as she's got used to the changes, and she takes good feeds now at those 2 feeds. A bonus from stopping daytime feeds has been that she's stopped the tugging and pulling of my shirt as she now associates BF with bed. It's nice to not have to feed during the day and for her not to demand feeds and pull my shirt, and I am so happy we can keep the nice feeds in the bed as I love snuggling with her. So for now we are happily still BF :)
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 21:10:57 pm »
Great update Vicku, especially the STTN part. I really hope it stays that way for you. Pregnancies aren't all too bad, or? ;)

We have gotten into a little bit of a biting issue. Hayden doesn't want to let go of my breast in the morning cause he wakes way too early and is still tired and always at the edge of falling asleep while feeding in the morning. But he never really does and this hour long sucking for comfort gets really tiring for me (as I can't sleep) so I have been taking him off before he is ready to finish. Recently he started biting my nipple when I was trying to get him off and I felt completely powerless and out of control over my breast cause I couldn't get it out of his mouth whenever I decided to. So I had to resort back to pushing his head tight on my breast so that he can't breathe and has to open his mouth. It kinda works but he still does the biting most mornings. The funny thing is that he only does it on one particular side. ??? I try not to get too stressed out about it and hope he will forget all about it soon. Ah, so annoying sometimes when toddlers finally figure out how to get what they want. ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 21:14:44 pm »
I am so happy we can keep the nice feeds in the bed as I love snuggling with her. So for now we are happily still BF
Exactly how I feel Vicku. Glad to hear you are doing well.
I am starting to think now that it will only bee a few more weeks before I have tons of milk so I'm not too worried about the lack of milk there may be now. Having said that Cadan fed for 35 minutes this morning when he normally does 20 max. He was probably still tired after a short night but his eyes remained open.
Hugs on the biting Manuela. I do the pulling in to the breast too when need be but luckily haven't needed to for a while.
I'm sure I'm getting uterine contractions when he feeds and that is part of the reason why I am so uncomfortable when he feeds in the evenings. I still haven't managed to convert him to feeding lying down. He cries his little heart out and passes me the feeding pillow saying "this, mama, this" and I just cannot resist!   :-\

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 21:34:53 pm »
He cries his little heart out and passes me the feeding pillow saying "this, mama, this" and I just cannot resist!

Oh, so cute but also so annoying for you. Hayden loves feeding lying down, couldn't think of doing it any other way. It's the only time I get to actually lie down and relax for a bit.