Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65501 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2012, 20:44:54 pm »
Thanks for all your advice! Ok I guess I'll probably pump when I get home unless I'm too tired... or maybe try dreamfeeding again, but I'm a little hesitant to do this as he's not been sleeping so well at night recently (2-1 + 18mo + clock change etc...) so I don't want to risk him not being able to settle again afterwards! And if we do end up weaning the morning feed at some point then I guess I can still offer one if we missed the previous evening? I'm not pushing that any time soon though...

Interesting question about supply - as I said I've no idea really how much he's getting, I certainly wasn't able to pump anything when I tried in the first few weeks (before going back on the mini-pill at around 6 weeks), so I know that pump yield isn't a reliable indicator for me. I then tried again around 6mo with success, but that may have been whilst simultaneously bf-ing (couldn't have managed that at the beginning!). For the next few months I was able to pump 5-6oz at a time and assumed that this was his usual amount, since he'd take that from the cup on occasion and not seem to want any more. Now at BT, as I said, it's more like 3-4oz if it's from the cup, but he apparently doesn't seem to want more than that so I'm not sure whether that's what he usually has from me, or whether he's just settling for a bit less? Does anyone else have any idea how much their toddlers are getting at the BT feed? I'm kind of hoping that his solids are more important now, so that the actual amount of breastmilk he gets doesn't matter too much? I'm afraid I gave up on cow's milk as a drink during the day, but he does have lots of yoghurt and milk-based puddings. But is there still a need to try to increase my milk supply? I guess I've been considering his bf's as a 'bonus' now rather than something to try and maximise... so I just let him stay as long as he wants (unless I've pushed his BT too late and he's dropping off!) and hope that what he's getting is adequate?

As for migraines, I suspect these latest ones have been hormonal but, having had them about once a year since before puberty, and not at all during pregnancy or during the first year, I wondered whether dropping the daytime feeds might have caused some sort of hormonal change that could have affected me in that way? It's not a big deal anyway, I haven't had them for a couple of months now, I was just curious!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2012, 22:10:50 pm »
So, I think my BF days are over for Z :( I'm 4 mths pregnant ad I think my supply is gone funny. He is wanting to feed, but not really feeding, then fussing. At night we gave him a bottle and he chopped the lot.

Here is my worry though. BF before story/bed is totally ingrained in him. But if we are going to give a bottle. I want it before bath and teeth. I've kind of been here before, but never made the move. I'm so scared DS will freak if I change the order of his routine. Anyone BtDT with the transition from BF to bottle at this age?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2012, 10:14:52 am »
No sorry Sara I just gave a mug of warm milk after dinner. Could you do the same and tell him it is his special drink that he will have instead of the BF now he is a big boy and the breast milk has run out? Would you rather give a bottle than a cup? I would think that will be one more transition off the bottle he will need to make. Up to you of course. Are you thinking it'll be a gentler transition for him?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »
Sara, sorry no advice about bottles, but our dentist said to clean his teeth even after bf, so atm I'm just doing that on my lap just after the bf (+ any Calpol etc, he's teething atm) - since he doesn't 'get' spitting out just yet anyway and I'm only using a tiny smear of toothpaste, that seems to be working ok, I just wipe his face afterwards. I'm currently missing one BT each week, and DS is just as happy to take his milk (EBM) from a cup with DH, in the same routine that he'd usually have his bf. Would that work for you? Obviously not the EBM but it seems he's happy enough with alternative milk anyway? Might be a little different for us as we never got DS to take a bottle so he just went straight to a cup for EBM at 6mo. I know what you mean about changing routines - scary, isn't it! Hope it's not too big a change for him...

I find it so hard to judge supply issues, I know DS has gone through several short periods of getting v distracted during feeds, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that he's wanting to give it up or that there's something up with my supply. I've generally tried to do whatever it takes to keep him happy so that he will nurse - atm in the morning, it's often making sure we're in the same room as DH, otherwise he just wants to look for 'Daddy'! In the evening, it's letting him hold his toothbrush/toothpaste/nasal spray/teething gel - or whatever else it is that he wants to grab (but NOT the Calpol!) whilst feeding. He'll then want to swap and hold something else when we switch sides. But before I realised that this is want he wanted, I was starting to wonder about supply/whether he was wanting to wean... Hope you're ok in your pregnancy anyway, and congratulations - can't remember whether I've already said that!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2012, 19:39:10 pm »
He drinks water from anything but he doesn't really drink much milk from a sippy. Not a biggie, but hes teething ATM so I was trying to make as small a change as possible ;)

Before he was a teething mess he had his bottle as a sippy at lunch, but it seems to hurt ATM and he cries and wont drink from the hard spout, so I'm giving him flexi straw cups for his water (he tips all water out in normal cup ::) ) and back to bottle for lunch. Backwards step I know!!

I think Z is def weaning, this has been going on a week or two and my breasts are changing, it's common for milk to change during pregnancy and TBH I don't think he is a fan lol.

I guess the main issue is, I would just offer nothing usually, But he isn't eating much at the moment with these molars cutting ::) last night was awful, butthat was this tooth cutting...he was fine at BT with the bottle. I think I'll give it a week or two then move it to before bath cold turkey so we can do teeth after. We do teeth am too
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2012, 18:03:26 pm »
Hi,
I'm joining in, hoping you can help as I really want to continue BF for at least a few more months but I think my supply is way down.
About a month ago when my LO was turning 12 months I dropped nursing frequency to three times a day so she would be used to the new routine when I was about to start work.  I nurse first thing in the morning 6am, after pm nap(or after coming home from work and day care 4pm) and before bed 6:45pm.  She had no issues and everything seemed fine including my supply. 
This past week (I'm been back at work for two weeks now) it seems that she's having harder time nursing based on her sucking and it takes a while to get the let down going.  It seems she is done nursing very quickly even during the morning feed which seems that there is not enough for her that's why she gives up.

With my first born I also nursed 3 times a day after starting work once she turned 1 and soon she dropped the afternoon feed and I successful nursed her for another year or so (only on one side as she rejected one boob around that time too).  I didn't have any supply isses.

Any recommendations?  Should I try some herbs?  I can't really increase frequency of nursing because of work. 
Also if I lose supply what should I give her instead?  I don't really want to do bottles though, should I do formula or just cow's milk?  She hasn't had either yet, but eats really well most solids already including dairy just not milk yet.

thanks.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2012, 18:47:10 pm »
If you decide to stop BF, there's really no need to give formula after 12m as she is eating well.

Are you feeling stressed by being back at work?  Have you been eating well and drinking plenty of water?  Is AF on her way?  All things that could've had an impact on supply in the last couple of weeks.
*** Amanda ***

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2012, 18:53:07 pm »
Sorry can`t figure out what AF means and yes I am more stressed.  And now I worry about not nursing on top of everything.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2012, 19:10:22 pm »
AF = Aunt Flo = your period.
Stress can totally mess with supply, so could be contributing
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2012, 20:43:29 pm »
Do you feed in a a quiet place so she isn't distracted.

I just realised B is now 12mo so I am officially an extended nursing Mama again.
I am also going back to work this week so will see what happens.

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2012, 00:30:05 am »
I don`t think she`s distracted. Also she started to bite me and she`s done this before when teething and I think her second top teeth have started to cut through.  After she bites, she usually starts to cry and fuss.  Usually I yelp and tell her not to bite.

I didn`t realize AF can lower supply, I didnt`notice this before and I`m about a week away. 

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2012, 00:34:08 am »
KM and Zack's mum congratulations ( for Being pregnant and for B turning 1 (happy Birthday, B)) and best of wishes returning to work!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2012, 19:24:36 pm »
Luc - I think that's about the time when you would notice a dip due to the raising of progesterone levels.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2012, 20:01:21 pm »
teething can definitely affect the feeding. have you tried medicating?

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
She's been nursing better today, I can hear her sucking is not so shallow and my one breast feels fuller.  I think supply is low on one side and it takes her forever to get a let down going on this side too. 
My LO had rejected this breast a handful of times over the past year and would only feed on the other breast but after a day or two would start taking both.  My older LO also stopped nursing on this side around 15months and I just continued giving her the other side for all her feeds.  At the time I though it was just her preference but could it be that supply/milk production is better on one side?

I try not to medicate for teething and she hasn't been bothered by it that much.