Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65762 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 21:36:57 pm »
Yes, lying down BFing and BFing to sleep are two tricks I wish I had done every now and then just so I had them up my sleeve when required!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 23:42:42 pm »
K went through a period of not wanting me to lay down to feed. I used to latch him on and then lay down. I think to start on a few pillows so we weren't too flat. I was so uncomfortable when feeding at then end of my pg.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 15:30:05 pm »
Maybe I'll try moving after we start then KM.
And BTW, sorry to go off topic with a PG-related update girls, I had thought I was replying on the PG and BFing thread.

And I am due to go on a BFing workshop as one of the antenatal classes for my current PG this Friday. I wonder what I will learn about BFing and what their take on extended nursing will be.

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 17:40:31 pm »
I wonder what I will learn about BFing and what their take on extended nursing will be.
I would be interested as well, but it seems strange to go to a workshop when you're still breastfeeding. ;)
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 19:05:00 pm »
Hi Everybody -

My DD, 12.5 mos, appeared to be self weaning between 10-11 months...she was down to 3X daily (morning, noon, bedtime) and didn't seem too interested except for the night feeding.  On the eve of her 1st birthday, it all changed...she started wanting to nurse--more, sometimes--and is now wanting to nurse herself to soothe into a nap! She did this at 9 mos, too, so I'm hoping it's a growth spurt/developmental issue.  I had hoped to have her weaned in about a month, but just found out we're moving to Northern Virginia (from Texas).  She is also cutting molars...I'm thinking I might need to wait as I don't want it to be too stressful on her.

I'm trying not to nurse her before the nap (I always nurse her upon waking from it)...but she gets very upset/meltdown.  I caved in a few times in the last 2 weeks as I thought it was a growth spurt, etc, and she needed the comfort.  But I don't want to set her back into forming any bad habits.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 21:29:07 pm »
I wonder what I will learn about BFing and what their take on extended nursing will be.
I would be interested as well, but it seems strange to go to a workshop when you're still breastfeeding. ;)
Well actually I should have said it's a "feeding" class so it will cover current recommendations on bottle use like sterilisation that I would be interested in. Cadan didn't really take a bottle but I want to persist with one this time so I can be more flexible about leaving DS2 occasionally. Although it would be EBM not FF I would be using. I would also like to hear what they say about current recs for BFing as it may have changed since Cadan was so small. And there were some things like mastitis and thrush etc that I was fortunate enough never to experience so a refresher on what to look for and such will be useful. It is also the 3rd of 4 classes with teh same people so I don't want to miss that one as if I know it all when I don't I might even be able to help the other ladies with BTDT stories if they ask questions I could help with.

Jlisenby19 - I think it is a very personal decision as to whether you do the 4th feed again or not. If you decide not to I would just keep saying that she can nurse when she wakes up and stick to that. If you don't mind feeding her then maybe just make sure it doesn't become the way she falls asleep for her nap by having a nappy change or something inbetween the BF and the nap. And maybe only give it on the days she asks. That is how I'm weaning the after nap feed at the mo. If he asks he gets it, if he doesn't I don't offer and we skip it. We now probably do this feed a max of 1x a week. HTH.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 23:25:39 pm »
I went to a bfing workshop as part of my antenatal classes and it was a bit repetitive but interesting to see what has changed. I also chirped in with some BTDT tips and we talked about tandem nursing!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 15:26:39 pm »
Ouch on the biting Manuela, I hope that stops quickly!

I'm now only doing feeds lying down since we dropped the daytime feed, as morning and BT feeds were always lying down. Sounds like a good thing in relation to the PG then, and yes it is so nice to feed lying down and getting a rest yourself, especially in the mornings! :)

Yes, lying down BFing and BFing to sleep are two tricks I wish I had done every now and then just so I had them up my sleeve when required!
Yeah, I decided that after DD1, but DD2 never liked BF to sleep, far preferred her dummies once they were introduced at 3wks. She's only fallen asleep on the boob twice in the last 8 months. Once on her 1st b'day and once the other day. Both times she was very very tired and just couldn't stay awake :P But yeah, I agree it probably is a good tool to have at times. Suppose BF has been my tool at night as I've fed at NWs and it does calm her down and makes her go back to sleep afterwards, even if not actually feeding to sleep..
No more STTN yet, but we only have the one NW rather than the two we did have, so I'm pleased but hoping for more STTN of course.

Let us know how the workshop goes Ali. Hopefully they'll cover current directions of handling EBM and bottles in relation to EBM too as bottle and formula handling is different. Need to be far more careful with formula so you don't have to follow those guidelines with EBM.

I agree with Ali jlisenby. Also it is very possible it is in relation to a GS as they often happen around both 9mos and 1yr. You could always see how increasing her solids affect things. I've noticed that my DD always (until very recently when getting used to having no milk in the days) asked for milk when hungry rather than food. I think it was because she knew how to easily "ask" for that by pulling my shirt etc, but so far have no word for food or hungry.

How is it going for Khalam KM? Is he adjusting and coping well? Have you noticed any difference in things with him?
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 21:34:45 pm »
Thanks for asking Vicku. Did you see we had weaned? It has now been nearly 3 weeks and he has stopped asking with any conviction. It is much easier now I must say, but I do feel sad. sometimes it is tempting to to let him have a little but I think 2 years is enough otherwise he will be going to school with it if I let him. I do plan to Bf B for 2 years too, so I will be back on here in 9months or so.

What are the differences between EBM and formula handling?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 21:36:37 pm »
Let us know how the workshop goes Ali. Hopefully they'll cover current directions of handling EBM and bottles in relation to EBM too as bottle and formula handling is different. Need to be far more careful with formula so you don't have to follow those guidelines with EBM.
Good point. I'll be sure to ask.

Offline Vicku

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 19:26:59 pm »
KM, yes I knew you had weaned. 2 yrs is a fantastic time to BF so don't feel ANY guilt and of course I understand the sadness too... I think it is always emotional when BF stops as it is leaving something behind that you will never get back to again with that child.

Can't go into details now about the difference to BM and formula cos have to go, but BM lasts longer due to antibacterial properties etc while formula breeds bacteria quite quickly so you have to be much more careful about sterilisation and not re-heating etc.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 19:37:43 pm »
Well the feeding class rubbish and hardly covered anything. Everyone said they were planning to BF so they didn't cover bottle feeding. I expect I'll get a leaflet with the right details from the hospital anyway. We watched a video (yes an actual VHS tape) from 1971 of some babies feeding while their mums talked about how happy they were to have got past the painful first few eeks of Bfing! The mw kept just chirping in saying "we don;t do that /recommend that any more". I felt I was the only one asking any questions too and in the end just gave up and thought I come here to BW for help with tandem feeding etc. if I need it.

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 18:55:53 pm »
K's mom, I also think that 2 years is such a great time and you have given your LO a great start, so don't feel bad. Oh, and the temptations to let him have a sip, I totally understand it. I would be so tempted as well, but at the end it doesn't do anybody any good. I am glad you seem to have gotten over the worst part though and can move on now. We'll see you back in a bit of time, I am hoping to come back to this threat then as well. :)

Ali, what an annoying class. From 1971, seriously? So much rubbish, I wish it would have been more productive for you. You can probably learn more in a BF book than in that class. ::) I really recommend the tandem nursing book for you if you have some time and are interested. It does have some good ideas in it and it gives you a bit more preparation on what to expect. At the end I think tandem nursing is a very individual experience as it depends so much on the mother and her children, so I am just waiting to see how it goes for us.

Offline Vicku

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 20:39:58 pm »
Sorry the class was so useless Ali :(

Last few evenings DD has just taken a few sucks, like 5-10 seconds, then come off for about 15-20 seconds, then back on for 5-10 again and carried on like that 5 or 6 times before either she's asked for the other side or I've offered it. then repeat on that side :( Doesn't seem like she's getting more than a few drops and I don't even have a chance to get a let down like this I don't think. The morning feed and the one night feed we still mostly do are better but she still doesn't stay on for long and there's very little swallowing so I wonder if this is the beginning of the end... We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 20:52:06 pm »
I don't think it is necessarily the end for you, it depends if Sienna keeps being interested despite the low milk supply, or maybe start becoming more interested once you have more milk again. She might just take a small break and if you are ok with it start again when the colostrum gets in or the baby is born.