Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65498 times)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 13:27:11 pm »
Hello,

I've meant to come on here for a while now to let you all know we're no longer breastfeeding. It was a very gradual wean where Sienna self-weaned due to my gradually decreasing supply. There was nothing we could do to fight the pregnancy hormones, they just took over and the milk gradually got less and less. Felt sad :'( I would have really likd to continue for at least a while longer, but we just had to accept it and move on. In the end she was only sucking for a few seconds at bedtime and am, then only at am, and for the last weeks she only got drops then last week nothing but she kept still wanting to latch on so I let her. Didn't see any point in refusing it and knew it wouldn't last anyway. Then she lost interest when there wasn't anything and it's been a couple of weeks now since she latched on at all. I really waned to get to two years at least, but I suppose we were only 2.5 mos short of that and I should be happy that we could BF for as long as we did. One bonus is that she's now finally STTN. Woke for a drink of water at night instead of the milk she used to have, and at the beginning she was having 6-7oz in one night :o She's now dropped that to the occasional sip of water if she wakes, but she takes care of it by herself so I do get much better sleep now. PG nausea got a lot worse when we stopped though, no idea if this was related or not...

I will still pop in every now and then to support other extended nursing mothers, so won't be gone forever, plus I'll hopefully be back with another nursing toddler when the new baby gets to one year old :)

Hugs to you all and happy nursing!! :-*
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 20:19:13 pm »
Well done. That is fantastic. At least you wont have to wean when there is a new baby around. You could always pump and give her some when the baby is born. So proud of you.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 21:59:49 pm »
Yes you should be very proud Vicku. And I just saw you're due on Valentine's day. How romantic.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 20:33:10 pm »
You have done great Vicku to get to 21.5 months and I think it is great that Sienna self weaned cause now you don't have to do it for her. It is much more natural and probably easier for both of you. Good luck on the rest of the pregnancy.
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:39 am »
Aw thank you so much girls :D

Yes KM, I was planning on trying her on pumped milk once baby is here, she doesn't like cow's milk or any other milk I've tried.
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline TeacherMamaTN

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 13:45:44 pm »
Hey guys! I'm new to the BW forums and plan to start EASY soon... but I'm concerned it will mess with my milk supply.

DD is 9 months old and we're EBF with some solids.

I'm here because her sleeping is terrible! We've been nursing to sleep for months (naps and night) and she wakes anywhere from 3-7 (yes, 7) times a night because she needs help falling back to sleep.

I'm very ANTI-CIO and need another alternative and am looking for a way to use the EASY ideas of ordering her eat/activity/sleep times and also finding some ways to get her to sleep without nursing. However, because I plan to nurse up to (or beyond!) two years, I don't want to mess with my milk supply and not feed her when she needs it.

Any suggestions on how to get her to sleep better? Are we too old for PU/PD? What kind of routines do you guys follow for your children? Any suggestions for a demand-feed/EASY combination routine? Any pointers?! Thanks!!

Offline Mama2C

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 17:25:17 pm »
 I have been wanting to come on this thread - DS is 19.5 months old and is still nursing. I offer it three times a day (morning, before nap and at BT). DS usually ask for it at least once or twice more. When he's teething it's like he's on once an hour! Thankfully he only has 4 more to go.

Sometimes I feel like he will NEVER self-wean. I work from home so it's not a big deal to BF him but I don't really like the 6+ feeds a day! Granted that's not every day.

Any of you BFing moms out there still BFing this often (3+ times a day?)

DD self-weaned at 16 months so this is new to me!
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline yaely jelly belly

• reut
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • name changed from reut.n but its still me :)
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:36 am »
hey ladies.
i haven't been aound the BW site latly at all but felt this is worse a share and a quik hello.
DD is just over 15m now and i think i can safly say we are done BF.
it happened very graduly and for the past month we only did a BT feed. it wasn't easy as i felt as i was ready to stop but wasn't sure if she was and on the other hand i was afraid to lose this special bonding of ours and this amazing conection. fainaly i stoped offering the night cap and for the past five days she hasent asked.
i am both happy, sad and scared.
now tell me ladies, when does the milk dry???

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:30 am »
Hi ladies,
Well I guess I am an extended nurser! Zac is almost 13 months and I am BF him 2 X a day (he has a bottle after breakfast and I top him up before his nap as he wakes hungry otherwise - he naps one long lunchtime nap) then I am feeding him as part of his BT routine.

I am hoping to wean the one before his nap soon once he is eating a bit more at lunch, he tends to graze during the day after a good breakfast.

Anyway Z seems to quite like BF...I don't think he will ever self wean! ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 06:51:12 am »
Haven't been on here for a while but just wanted to reply to the latest posts.

TeacherMamaTN: Welcome to BW but you might have figured out already that this is the wrong thread for your questions. This thread is only for LOs older than 1 year who are still breastfeeding. So, if you haven't done so yet, I would pop over to the sleep section of this forum and post your questions in either the prop forum or the PUPD forum. And no, your LO isn't too old for PUPD yet but you will need to adjust it to her age. You will find a lot of info in that forum.

Mama2C: I think if you feel uncomfortable to feed that often you will have to put your foot down and reduce the number of feeds. At this age they really don't need that often breastfeeds and I have a feeling that he uses your breast as his soother. Which is fine if you are happy about it, but eventually he will have to learn to self-sooth, still with your help but without your breast. So I would try to stick to the 3 times a day and cuddle a lot or giving him other attention when he needs it. With the teething you will have to judge if you can distract him somehow differently or, if you are comfortable with it, give him some medication to reduce the pain. There are LOs, including mine, that just love the soothing effect of BF so much that they will not self-wean for a long time and feed a lot during the day if you let them.

yaely jelly belly: Sorry, no advise for you as I haven't been there yet. Maybe pop over to the weaning thread.

Anyway Z seems to quite like BF...I don't think he will ever self wean!
Same here, no end in sight. :D We didn't wean the nap feed until he was 2 years old.
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »
Hi all, i guess i now qualify on this thread. DS has MSPI so I am still nursing but am back at work. i tried expressing and only got an once at lunch time. When I am home 3 days a week he takes morning, before nap, before dinner and before bed and once more at night so 5 feeds. But when I am away he does morning, on pick up, before bed and once at night, so 4 feeds. he gets 3 oz of formula in porridge and just recently started taking formula when I am away 3 oz. Is it enough milk? So it is either  3+3oz +4 BFs or 3oz +5BFs. He weighs about 8.24kg as of 2 weeks ago.
Also is my DH right that I should stop BF? I think of it as good for him but DH this it is bad for sleeping and gives a dependency.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2011, 18:23:37 pm »
If you're DS is 12mo+ then that sounds like enough milk. At 12mo we moved from 4 to 3 BFs. My DS was on dairy solids as well though. Does your DS get any other calcium from solids. The WHO recommend 4 BFs at 10mo and to continue BFing until 2yo. BFing isn't bad for sleep but feeding to sleep can mean they want a BF every time they wake. I would break the feed to sleep habit by teaching him independent sleep rather thaw stopping BFing though.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 20:15:25 pm »
Also is my DH right that I should stop BF? I think of it as good for him but DH this it is bad for sleeping and gives a dependency.
As Ali said it is only a dependency when you feed to sleep. It isnt the BF or Bottle feeding that is causing it, but the association with sleep.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 22:03:11 pm »
Thanks for that guys! Better peace of mind knowing the milk quantity is enough. DS is either teething or something is up. He is not eating well his solids and his poo today was something huge and stinky. so I am guessing it is teeth. As for calcium, Hmm, he may get it from veg, lentils and bread, grains, rice, not sure. I try and give fish and eggs as wel, but varied success on that. Especially these last few weeks of nursery and teething. As for feeding to sleep, he is not really sleeping on the breast. Actually I ask DH to take him to his cot after his feed because if I do it he will keep looking for milk and fussing whereas with DH he will start to loll himself to sleep. and he falls asleep by himself at nap and night time most times. So it is not feeding to sleep, as such. I think it maybe because we had to try this formula since October called Nutramigen and he took a long time getting used to it and being away from me. not BFing. So I think he is trying to compensate during the night. You can also see why DH is not amused. Apparently on some nights to give me a break DH  picked the boy up, gave him a formula bottle and DS drank it all (3oz) and went to sleep.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 22:15:26 pm by katyusha »

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2011, 22:33:42 pm »
Of course it's up to you but personally I would actively wean the NFs and just get him back to sleep without a feed. He should easily be able to go 12hrs or so overnight without a feed at this age. It is just habit that he looks for milk when he wakes before he goes back to sleep especially if he is only taking 3ozs. When my DS1 was 12.5mo  we actually weaned a NF (BF) that resurfaced after a chest infection at 11mo. I used a combination of PD and WIWO. DH did most of it since like you say with mama they look for milk. There was crying but after a week he was STTN with no NWs 99.9% of the time. He hasn't had a NF in 2011. We are still feeding in the mornings and at BT these days and he's 23mo. I'm taking it in my stride as it doesn't look like he'll wean those feeds any time soon but who knows. I'll see how I feel over the Christmas period when DH'll be off work for a couple weeks and see if I feel I would like to wean him completely.
It might also be worth considering (if you want to continue BFing of course) that extended BFing offers the following benefits.
1 year:
For baby - three times less risk of becoming obese by age six and a lower risk of heart disease as an adult.
For mother - no need to by formula milk at all saving at least £450 this year.
2 years:
For baby - likely to have higher average scores in intelligence tests.
For mother - expect fewer visits to orthodontist when baby is a teenager.  Risk of breast cancer reduced by 8%.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=124914.0

Plus of course he is getting all those good antibodies from you.