Author Topic: Soy Products, sleep problems?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline clairevarey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 22, 2011, 18:15:23 pm »
Hi, Im new here and have found all your comments very interesting. My daughter is Milk Protein Intolerant and has various other allergies, eggs, nuts, seeds etc but is generally well. She has been on Nutramigen since I stopped breastfeeding and recently I have started to try other options for her calcium intake. I have found that most things remotely milk/creamy tasting she rejects. My main question is that since trying her on a little soy product, (a few chocolate buttons as a treat, soy yoghurt on breakfast or dessert etc), her sleep seems to be affected. I have kept a diary for a month now of all her activity, sleep times, food intake etc to try and find a common cause of her very early rising and the pattern seems to be Soy. She has always been an early riser and I have no problem with this, as a rule I like her up around 6:30 so I am not rushing her breakfast and straight out to nursery but on days when she has had something with Soya in, she wakes between 4 and 5 the next morning. My friend swears she had the same problem with her daughter but I have not been able to find any information. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Soy Products, sleep problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 18:22:59 pm »
Milk protein often goes hand in hand with soya intolerence (MPSI - milk protein and soya intolerence) ... welcome to the forum.  Murray can't tolerate soya (it burns his bottom) but it doesn't affect his sleep etc but things do affect people in different ways.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 19:26:10 pm »
Hiya, I agree with Lucy and would try cutting the soy back out to see what happens to see if the problems go or not.

HTH

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline clairevarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:23:56 am »
Thanks for your replies. I have cut it out even though it was small amounts but i am interested in what you said about burning his bottom, did it look red and sore but settle very quickly after his dirty nappy was removed? Morgan has this problem on occasion but I have never connected it to the soy. I feel terrible now :(

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:28:08 am »
Yes - Murray used to get a burn wherever the poo was but it would disappear by the end of the day usually.  Don't feel bad at all - I meant to write yesterday how impressed I was that you had figured out Morgan's food issues and were able to find patterns and figure out that soya may be an issue (Murray was over 2 before we worked out most of his issues!).

DH used to get (as a baby!!) burnt bottoms from eating carrots and citrus fruits which his Mum warned me about, so that is why I was aware that it could be diet related ... we only figured out the soya once we had cut all dairy, etc
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline clairevarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 18:44:52 pm »
That sounds exactly like Morgan. I intend on keeping her soya free for another couple of weeks and then giving her some as a definitive test because its only a suspicion at the moment, however our second baby is expected any day now so it may be a little longer before i have the time to test the theory properly. thank you for your input, it has been very helpful, although it seems that soya related sleep problems is a rareity, everything I can find suggests that in fact it is a sleep aid.......Im sure thats very possible if you are not unfortunate enough to be intolerant to it!!!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 18:49:44 pm »
if she is in pain with it then it will probably affect her sleep - good luck with LO2 - we kept Murray dairy free for a while longer too due to Oliver arriving.  It doesn't do any harm avoiding foods as long as they are eating a good range of foods, etc.. We are going to avoid foods that Murray doesn't tolerate when weaning Oliver - a friend pointed out that Oliver is hardly going to resent the fact that he didn't get carrots for a couple of years just in case he had problems with them!!