Author Topic: What comes next?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
What comes next?
« on: June 22, 2011, 18:55:03 pm »
 I have a meeting with the dietician in a few weeks and she'll probably give me all I need to know but I like to be ahead of the game and thought I'd ask you guys!

So end July the dairy free trial is up. To me she has been MUCH better. Only once since starting the trial over 2 weeks ago have we had a lengthy NW and her skin is CLEAR, the clearest it has ever been. Ever. I am not putting the flags out yet, I will wait until the trial is done before I celebrate her lovely peachy skin! There are only little scar like marks where the really bad patches used to be.

So, what comes next if it is dairy? Do we then trial soy I take it? For how long? Then what? I am so impatient! 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: What comes next?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »
Hi, great news that you are finally seeing improvements! Do you really think she is still intolerant/allergic to soemthing other than dairy? If symptoms are clearing up why do you think you need to eliminate anything else?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »
Sorry hon what i mean is do i start giving soy to her? She is dairy and soy free atm.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »
The dietician told me you would choose one thing and suggested a bit of butter on bread over a few days and see how she reacts.  So I guess you would choose one thing with soy in it and trial it if you wanted to test the soy first.  Excellent news you are seeing good progress!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 13:01:18 pm »
We were told to start introducing dairy in small quantities, like bought products that contain butter, etc, then to try a bit of butter on bread or similar, then a bit of cheese, then yoghurt ... but I decided to go straight for yoghurt and he was fine!! Still not tried plain\heated milk.

Basically just introduce the less raw dairy food first a bit at a time and see if there is a reaction. 

Glad you are seeing results - seems like your instinct was right (but sorry that you may have to keep cutting it out).  When Murray was on the trial we did now and then give him bits of dairy when we were out as it was easier.  You have got past the hardest bit which is learning what she can\'t have
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 13:02:08 pm »
 I think I'd rather try soy as I'd like her off neocate and on soy formula if we can with a view to perhaps soy milk if the dairy is still playing her up after a year.

Soy is in everythnig, absolutely everything so it'd be great to be able to give her basics like bread!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 13:20:05 pm »
I completely understand - I didn't realise how much soya was used - there are soya free breads in M+S and the bread-maker mixes are soya free and part-baked baguettes too. 

I read somewhere online that soya lecithin is okay for people who struggle with soya (not sure it that is completely correct but I want it to be so am going by that!! Now Murray is a bit older he is tolerating more soya).  Murray's reaction to soya was loose stools (and if has a lot he gets a burnt bottom) whereas the dairy was more mucousy, etc. - just for you to be aware in case Dylan is the same.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 13:22:56 pm »
 There's also a Tesco bread that soy free! Its a seedy one though so not too keen on giving it to D.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 13:27:20 pm »
There's also a Tesco bread that soy free! Its a seedy one though so not too keen on giving it to D.
oooh - will have to look out for that one :)

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 13:29:46 pm »
Its a Tesco finest one. I looked it out when I was considering doing ED.  :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 13:30:27 pm »
I read somewhere online that soya lecithin is okay for people who struggle with soya (not sure it that is completely correct but I want it to be so am going by that!!
I've seen Liz write that a few times but can't remember her explanation but it made sense when I read it.  

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 17:18:01 pm »
If you want to trial something then I would go for soy. I think she is more likely to be dairy intolerant than soy but as you have seen writte on this website loads of times there is a very real possibility she could be intolerant to both. I guess to trial is the only way to know. Good Luck

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 20:19:08 pm »
If things are looking good at the minute I would leave it a while before trialling soy. I know you want your dd to be on soy formula instead of neocate but a lot of lo's also react to soy.

How well is your dd taking the neocate? If she is taking it well then I would leave things as they are for now especially as her skin is so much better and she is sleeping so much better. This is just my view on things though which is influenced from personal experiences with James.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:42:10 am »
 Thing is she doesn't take the neocate well. I am currently sweetening it, the dietician and HV know this and its basically the lesser of two evils atm according to them and they are right. I'd really rather not be though, both DH and I are uncomfortable with it.

The dietician says that the soy formula is actually quite sweet and I would like to know what the deal is with soy so I can start slowly intro'ing dairy again to see whats what. Her food intake is so samey right now. She has pretty much 5 or so meals in rotation. SHe's getting bored and I cant think of anything else to give her.  :( I know thats not reason to give dairy in itself of course but all the same I'd like to know that she can at least have a bit bread or some yoghurt maybe. Poor soul salivates at our food all the time! i'd like to share!  ;)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
Just thought - soya milk is often sweetened with apple juice - could you add a bit of that to her neocate? If you are good at cooking pretty much anything can be made dairy free, just use Pure/Vitalite for butter and oat milk for milk.  I just use "normal" recipes and they usually turn out fine. Remember that bagels are soya free ;)