Author Topic: playing with sippy cup  (Read 1262 times)

Offline sunshine29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 25, 2011, 19:25:56 pm »
Hi there,

From about 5 months, my DS has been "using" the Born Free trainer cup, which is vented and requires sucking (or chewing) on the spout as well as a plastic two-handled cup with plastic lid, that is free flow. By using, I mean that most of his water consumption is accidental, because he will suck/chew the one or he will just keep the other tipped up and will fill his mouth with water without swallowing much.

It doesn't seem like he's been making much progress in the past 3 months. Does anyone have any tricks on how to move away from playing with his cups to drinking properly? I'd like to start offering his mid-day formula from one, but I'm afraid he won't actually ingest any and that I'll be washing the floors every day.

Is it too early to be thinking about this?

Thanks!!

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: playing with sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 15:53:30 pm »
DD2 is 9.5 mo and we are just now starting to introduce the sippy cup.  We started DD1 at about the same time, but she wasn't really getting much out until she was closer to 11 mo.  Personally, I just don't think a lot of kids "get it" at this age.  My pedi told me most kids are closer to 1 when they start proficiently using a sippy.

Many people have more luck with a cup/straw or just an open cup (controlled by you, of course).  You could try that.

If someone else on here has any tricks, I would also love to hear them.

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 15:57:38 pm »
We use the Safe Sippy - it has quite a hard plastic spout thats not much fun to chew on, you could try that? But in the end I wouldn't worry too much about it. The spouts are so tempting to chew on and he will drink if he is thirsty...

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:16 am »
DS is 10.5 months and has been using a sippy for about 2 months and is now just starting to drink out of it instead of playing.  I was wondering if he would even be able to use the straw cup yet?