Author Topic: Is spinach hard on a baby's tummy?  (Read 9632 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Is spinach hard on a baby's tummy?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 01:36:40 am »
Nicole - we do OK with spinach but we get a reaction like you're describing from chickpeas (which is too bad cause I make really yummy roasted ones that my picky DS loves). HOURS later (and it can be many hours) he'll have NWs, gas pains and the next day many loose stools...

In your case I'd hold off completely for a couple weeks then try again with a smaller quantity of spinach chopped even finer? In the meantime maybe go with grated zucchini (peel on for more nutrition)?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 07:06:38 am »
chickpeas (which is too bad cause I make really yummy roasted ones that my picky DS loves)
how do you make them? (sorry I keep hijacking this thread!!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 11:03:57 am »
So easy and yummy. I just drain a can of garbanzo beans and rinse them well. Then dry them between paper towels to loosen the skins. Then remove all the skins (this part is time consuming and not necessary but my kids like the texture better this way). Then toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Put in a shallow pan or baking dish and bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, mix in 1 heaping tbsp honey and roast for another 7 minutes. Stir again, let cool and enjoy!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:28 am »
Thanks, Karen.  We are going away for a long weekend, so when I get back I am going to try using some zucchini.  I'll bet he'll like that.  I didn't know you could leave the peel on for more nutrients- that is great to know!!

It is too bad about the chickpeas and your DS - they are soooooo good!

Lucy - definitely make the chickpeas - they are yummy!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:40 am »
Yes definitely leave the peel on. Scrub well (organic zucchini if you can afford it since you aren't peeling) and then grate. Then put the grated zucchini between paper towels and squeeze out the excess moisture.

Yea I'm bummed about the chickpeas. I'll try again in a couple weeks though.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 14:54:24 pm »
Thanks for the recipe - there is a tin of chick peas in the cupboard that need used before we move house so will try it tomorrow :o)

I found that the skin on the courgette/zuccini used to give Murray bad wind!!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!