Author Topic: Started well but going down hill (1yo)  (Read 1274 times)

Offline alicia+3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 30, 2011, 15:51:50 pm »
My LO just turned 1 this week and I'm not sure how we are doing with regards to food! He never really was a fan of milk but has always been great with food, fingers foods purees etc.  
At the start he would eat everything I gave him or put in front of him. A variety of pureed meats, veggies, potatoes, fruit etc. He would also give all finger foods a go, like pieces of chicken, boiled carrots, brocolli, green beans etc. he would also love banana and avocado and even other stuff like tomatoes etc.
Well ever since last month he isn't eating much at all!!!
He used to have 2 weetabix in the morning, now he has barely 1.
For lunch I am still giving him the purreed meat and veggies, this he will still eat.

In the afternoon he totally refuses ANY fruit, he just pokes it and throws it on the floor. I try to ignore and not react and just put him down.

For dinner he has always had finger food from the start, whatever we were eating. He used to eat so much!!! Now he will only have pizza, bread, maybe brocolli. Everything goes on the floor. Pasta which be used to love, goes on the floor. Same with most other things. I made homemade chicken nuggets the other day, he didn't try it at all. Just threw it on the floor. I am so frustrated as he is TINY!!!! I don't get it..... He doens't even have that much milk maybe total 100z a day... This has been going on for over a month!!! What do I do? Please tell me it gets better!! How can he live on such little food? My other 2 always loved their food so this is all new to me....

I offer 2-3 things each time.What do I do if he doesnt eat anything? Do I give in and make him something he will eat? OR let him go hungry? Not sure I want to  get into the habit of cooking other stuff for him. I try and offer him new things on his try alongside things I know he WILL eat but he picks out the ones he likes(cheerios) and dumps the rest)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 16:07:55 pm by alicia+3 »

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Started well but going down hill (1yo)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 17:39:00 pm »
Hi!  We just went through something really similar.  Well, DS2 wasn't a fantastic eater to start with, but at about 12mos it all went downhill.  I swear he threw every single thing I offered.  TBH, I just kept offering, but if he didn't eat then he didn't eat.  We would try again next time.  He didn't starve himself, I figured if he was hungry, he would eat.  After it had gone on for about a month I started to get frustrated and worried (I am usually really relaxed about eating).  Then just like that he started eating again!  Now he is eating better than ever. 

Is your LO teething?  That could be one thing going on.  I also think it is common at this age for LOs to take less interest in eating and more interest in throwing.  ::)

There is a support thread for picky toddlers, if you'd like to come join us.  You might get some good tips there too.  :)
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=184435.0
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline alicia+3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:49:00 am »
Thanks so much for the advice! i checked his mouth and he is in fact cutting 2 molars and I can feel lots of lumps so it has got to be the teeth right?  For the moment he is still happy to eat his weetabix, pureed lumpy lunch(meat, veg, potato combos) and then I mash his banana for dinner. As long as he is entertained with a toy he is happy to eat all his food when I feed him. after lunch I let him eat the yogurt by himself with a spoon. He will still eat things like bread and pizza. I am offering him things alongside his usuals like posta chopped up fruit etc he usually just throws it but that's all I can do right?

Will check out the picky eaters thread too thanks!

Offline alicia+3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51:42 am »
Just thought I would update, he is back to normal now so I think he was teething. He still won't eat fruit but I have started cutting it in small pieces and adding it to his weetabix or porridge.
Thanks for all your help!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 18:04:11 pm »
Great news!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012