Author Topic: Has anyone made homemade paint?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Has anyone made homemade paint?
« on: July 02, 2011, 15:54:50 pm »
I want to do some messy finger painting with DD so thought about making some homemade finger paints.

Found this recipe online:
What you'll need

Sugar
Cornflour
Cold water
Food colouring

What to do

Stir four tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 cup of cornflour together; add two cups of cold water, and heat over a medium heat until the mixture is thick (the mixture will further thicken as it cools). Divide into four or more containers, and add food colouring as desired. Then get some large sheets of paper (or tape some A4 sheets together) for your preschooler to create some unique artwork using his fingers and hands.

Has anyone done this before? Do you have a tried and tested recipe? Also am I crazy for wanting to do this with a 7.5mo old or should I wait a while???!!! :P

Thanks! :)

*Nicola*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Has anyone made homemade paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 17:12:36 pm »
I would be aware that the food coloring will likely stain anything and everything it touches. I have seen activities where kids paint with yogurt with added food coloring in case it gets eaten, but that is another activity best done outdoors. :D

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: Has anyone made homemade paint?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 19:38:44 pm »
Thanks deb! :)  I guess with these type of 'paints' they won't keep well. Hmmmm, well I guess she does plenty of 'painting' at the moment with her dinner so we may just wait a while! ;D

*Nicola*