Author Topic: combining breast and bottle  (Read 991 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
combining breast and bottle
« on: July 03, 2011, 13:31:55 pm »
my DD is 4.5 weeks and up until 4 weeks was EBF. we have decided to supplement with formula top ups as she has been very unhappy, has slow weight gain and jaundice which is taking a while to go. so far she has been much happier with the top ups but how do i make sure i am not over feeding her...atm i am bfeeding one side and then after a nappy change i give 3oz of formula. sometimes she drinks it all very quickly, sometimes it takes a while but she drinks it all and sometimes she just takes an ounce or so. is this ok...i don't want ti be over feeding.
is the idea to allow 20 mins max and then to stop feeding...
the only feed i just give 4oz formula for is one night feed as i was funding that if she just bfed she would just feed and feed and sleep fitfully - i don't think she was getting enough milk. my plan is to slowly decrease the bfeeding and increase the formula
thanks

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: combining breast and bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 19:29:56 pm »
Hi Becky,
I was in the exact same situation, but a little earlier than you. Good on you for BF for these months.
I really don't think you should stress about it. LOs really know when it's enough and she won't eat if she doesn't want to. However, you should read her signs while she is taking the bottle - if she is "playing" with the bottle, shaking her head, kicking her legs - then she doesn't want to eat anymore. If she is happy, I'd say she is just hungry.
You could always take her to check her weight and see if it's all alright.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 19:40:45 pm »
I think if you are happy that you will be formula feeding more and dropping the breastfeeds then be guided by her, if she starts spitting up straight after a feed she may have had too much so watch her signs!

I would keep her on the slowest flow teat until you are just formula feeding as bottles are much easier to get milk out of and she may more than she actually needs if it's too much easier. 20 mins is about the right time for a formula feed, but if she has had a breastfeed first maybe stop when she breaks off and call it done even if it's only a few mins.

Laura

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:07 am »
thanks both of you xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!