Author Topic: Size of teat?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Size of teat?
« on: July 03, 2011, 21:29:16 pm »
I think I'm probably going to answer this question myself  ::) but wanted to ask anyway.

DD takes expressed milk in a bottle at the start of her DF - Only 2oz because that's all I can pump and then finishes on the breast - but she takes those 2oz pretty quickly (a couple of minutes) providing the milk is warm enough.

She's on a size 2 Tommee Tippee Teat ATM but will quite often click a lot while feeding from it - she can also make the nipple collapse in on itself. So that means she needs a faster teat flow, right? The variflow teats are bigger and I have enough trouble making her take the regular sized ones without gagging (on the teat not the milk) - but would a size 3 be too fast?  Aren't they for 6 months plus?

I guess I'm wondering if anyone had any success at 'making' their own 2.5 size teat?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Size of teat?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:28:01 am »
Which TT are you using? I guess it's not the closer to nature ones - all the teats were the same size on those and the vari-flow is suitable from birth. You can use a hot needle to push another hole in the teat - I've never done it, but that's the theory!

The only thing to watch is that if the bottle is too easy BF babies can start to want the easy bottle more than the harder work breast so we usually suggest sticking to the slowest teat :-\

Laura

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: Size of teat?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:17:06 am »
The only thing to watch is that if the bottle is too easy BF babies can start to want the easy bottle more than the harder work breast so we usually suggest sticking to the slowest teat

That's what I thought too. I have a fast let down and she often gulps at the breast so I just wonder if she's used to getting more in one mouthful.

Actually they are the Closer to Nature ones. I was sure they were all the same size too but the variflow ones I've just bought a definitely larger which I was really surprised about. 

Thanks! I may try the hot needle trick :)