Author Topic: Is anyone still on a 3 Hour EASY  (Read 1384 times)

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Is anyone still on a 3 Hour EASY
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:03 am »
My LO is 19 weeks tomorrow and we are still are on a 3 hour EASY. He is a big boy and eats approx 38oz a day. He has 5 bottles at 7,10,1,4,7 with no DF as didnt work for us and sstn. I have tried pushing his feeds to 4 hourly and trying to stretch his A times (we have a serial 45min cat napper). He is happy to stretch his day feeds however it means the most he can eat is 36oz in day (4 bottles at 7,11,3,7) which meant he was waking at 5am hungry.
I am going to cause real problems if we stay on a 3 hour EASY until he is weaned, which I thought would fill him up with 4 bottles, hopefully he will nap better and be able to stay awake longer. Its the first A time of the day that messes us up, it is about 1h30 at the most, then he will only nap for 45 mins and if we are on a 4 hour EASY it is then a complete mess.

Any thoughts much appreciated x

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Is anyone still on a 3 Hour EASY
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 19:34:27 pm »
Hi - since this is essentially a question regarding how to space his feeds and satisfy his hunger I am going to move you over to bottle feeding.

You will need to move to a 4hrly EASY to maintain a sensible napping schedule as his A time will only extend as he gets older. Sounds as though he is OK at the moment - but he will hit an A time of 2 hrs at some point soon (in order to get a long nap  ;)).

Perhaps post your EASY so we can see in a bit more detail how your day is going??

Offline pondofstillwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 20:16:04 pm »
I am no expert but waking at 5am at this age might not be because hunger. My DD (now 17week and 6days) woke at 5am few times as well - before we stretched the feeds and during the transition from 3hr to 4hr. But it was not really because hunger, it is more to do with the routine, ie proper A time management.

Also, 38oz daily seems a lot. If you are worried your LO not getting enough feeds on 4 hour, during the transition, you can do a cluster feed before bedtime to make up the oz. We are currently feed at 7, 11, 3, 6 and 7.

One thing to keep in mind i think is considering giving your LO solids at this stage... If you LO will still be hungry after 36-38oz of fluids in 24hours then liquid diet is probably not enough...

Just my 2c

But I really think you need to start the transition from 3hr to 4hr...

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:50:42 am »
Hi
Thanks for your reply, I think the waking was due to hunger as he would wolf down 9oz. I have just started weaning very slowly and going to see how we get on. It is the first A time that seems to mess everything up, he can only stay awake for 1.5 hours but only naps for a max of 1.5 hours, this then means we have a EASAE which is fine but then I would feed him an hour after being awake and I try and give him solids 30mins - 1 hour after which is when he is getting tired and wants to go to bed!

I liked the ideo of cluster feeding but he is in bed by 6.30pm every night so I am not sure how I would fit it in??

Thanks xxx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:41 am »
Which formula do you have him on? Have you tried the hungry baby formulas at all? Can you post your EASY in terms of

Eat - what times, how much
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times, how long for

thank you!

Laura

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:48:33 am »
He is on Lactose Free at the moment but has hungry baby milk for his last bottle of the day. Our days are never the same as I like to try and get out and about once a day. I think I just need to start making the transition and see how we get on.

Thanks x