Author Topic: Any one started solids at 5.5 months  (Read 2500 times)

Offline pondofstillwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Any one started solids at 5.5 months
« on: July 05, 2011, 16:43:26 pm »
Hi,

I am looking for support and experience and things to watch for when start LO on solids at 5.5 months...

Thank you

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Any one started solids at 5.5 months
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 18:10:14 pm »
I started baby cereal at 4 months and veggies at 5.5 months. The things I remember being important were:

*good head control, able to sit up on a highchair/booster type seat, and no tongue thrust reflex pushing food/spoon out of the mouth

*interest in food you are eating

*trial one new food for at least 3 days before starting another to check for allergies/intolerance

*start with one "meal" a day and slowly work your way up. no need to rush. gauge how baby likes it and how it affects tummy/poops. some foods cause diarrhea others constipation others gas. you want to know what causes what reaction in your baby

*make sure your baby doesn't drop their breastmilk or formula intake. those are the most important source of nutrition for your baby for the first year. some babies take to solids and then start decreasing how much "milk" they have. "food is only for fun until they are one" :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:30:51 am »
Here is a helpful link:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=36922.0

I would say if you think LO is ready, give it a shot.  He (she?) might act confused at first and not know what to do, try it for a few days to see how it goes.  But if there is obvious distaste or refusal, I'd stop and wait a few more weeks.  My DS1 started at 5.5mos and did well, but when I tried DS2 at the same age it was very obvious he was not ready.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 14:26:41 pm »
Thank you for your replies.... Much appreciated.

DD is 18 weeks today... I know far from 5.5 months... but I like to get prepared... She is still having tougne thrust but she sure is interested in watching us eating! Plus few of my friends told me that they had wished they could start solids earlier than 6 months because now their LOs do not eat as well as those started in the 5th month....

I know back in my days, I was eating congee past and egg tart at age of 3 months. but that was 36 years ago...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 14:49:15 pm »
I think many moms on here have started solids later and their LOs eat very well. I honestly think that it more so depends on the LO and on your attitude toward food in general than when you start introducing solids.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 14:57:15 pm »
I honestly think that it more so depends on the LO and on your attitude toward food in general than when you start introducing solids

totally agree, I started solids with both kids at 5.5 months (pear) as they both showed interest in our food, could sit up & had lost the tongue thrust.  My oldest took to it great, has always been a fabulous eater, took up finger foods early and ate a wide variety.  My youngest had texture issues and is still very self limiting in what she will eat.  I have a very laid back attitude towards food, as I realize this is one thing they have total control over...I give them the food, it is up to them to decide what/how much to eat. 
Heidi

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 16:43:24 pm »
Thank you ladies,

Do you recommend high chair or the single seat strapped on a normal chair? I am not certain which one to use...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 17:02:58 pm »
I think either seat is fine. :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 17:04:03 pm »
Yep, either would work well.  We never used an actual highchair because of space limitations, but have had several different ones that fit on a regular chair as well as one that attaches to the table, and all of them worked well.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 18:39:43 pm »
Thank you so much!!!