Author Topic: 3 meals a day...eating well, now what?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Spandanna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:40:09 am »

There's only 18 months between DS and DD but I can't seem to remember what order I did things in and what I did once DS was eating 3 meals a day...

So we weaned DD at 17 weeks. She is now 6 months old and every day has a bottle at 7am porridge at 8, 11bottle, 12 solids (whole jar/4 cubes) bottle 3pm, solids 5pm (again a whole jar or 4 cubes) and then milk at 6.30pm

The thing is she eats her solids really well, almost always finishes a decent portion (and would take more if I gace it to her). She's starting to lose interest in the 11am and/or the 3pm bottle. Do I drop one of these? Do I do main and pudding with any of the meals?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 3 meals a day...eating well, now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:11 am »
At 6 months she still needs 4 bottles a day.  Most drop to 3 bottles at  9 months ish.  Milk is the most important source of nutrients until 1 YO.  f you are finding milk decreasing I would decrease solids a bit to make sure she is getting her milk. 

How many oz of milk does she take in a day?

That being said my DD1 was big into solids and ate loads and I would have offered fruit or yogurt after lunch and dinner but I made sure it didn't affect her milk intake. 

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
Re: 3 meals a day...eating well, now what?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:59:24 am »
Ok thanks so much for replying so quickly...I can't believe how much has escaped my memory of what I did before. Oddly I was more confident with it all last time (but I weaned much later) This time because of reflux (and she's a huge baby!) we weaned earlier

At the moment she has 4 x 8oz bottles but she now will only take 4oz at 11am and increasingly dropping to 3/4oz at 3pm. She polishes off her morning and bedtime bottles so I guess on average in total she will take 24oz a day out of 32 offered. What if I got rid of the 11am bottle and brough lunch to 11/11.30 then she may take a full bottle at 3pm...that would still be in total the same no of oz per day right?!

Also, should I move on to stage 2 type foods? Some of my own made up purees are much thicker than the stage 1 bought stuff and she copes perfectly with them