Author Topic: Dropping off Curve  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Bug-a-boo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 06, 2011, 16:31:17 pm »
Not sure if this is the place to post this or not, please move it wherever if need be! My DD is 15 months. At her 1 year Doctor visit they were a little concerned about her weight. So I took her back at 14 months and she was down again. She has lost about 1.5 lbs, down to 19.5 lbs.  She seems healthy and happy otherwise, to me at least. Should I be worried? It is kind of stressing me, although I am trying to not let it. Also, should I give her snacks all day or limit them so she eats better at meals? I am trying to offer healthy snacks but she is pretty picky. She also insists on feeding herself, which is messy and not real efficient. Not sure what to think. Thanks for any advice.

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Dropping off Curve
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 17:18:07 pm »
If you, your husband, or someone else in your immediate family is petite or was a smaller child, then I don't think it's anything to worry about.  I have a friend whose 20 mo weighs less than 20 lbs, but she herself is 5'2" and the baby's father is 5'8".  The kiddo is just little because his parents are on the smaller side. :)

How does she eat at meals?  I mean, is she interested in the food, even if it's kind of hit or miss with getting it into her mouth?  Does she do OK with finger food?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mama2C

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 17:54:34 pm »
This is also an age where toddlers start to become active and start to find their "real" curve. DD was a very chubby baby and always in the 80th+ %tile but once she started walking at 10 months she started to drop...she never really lost weight but she stopped gaining for about 6 months until she stabilized at the 50th%tile. She is still there now. DS was also a big baby and always in the 90th%tile and now that he is walking and running he is falling off that a bit. I remember being very worried with DD but her nurse just told me that as long as she has energy, is healthy and happy, is peeing and pooing well and is eating a variety of foods, that there is no need to worry. SHe also said that by 18 months DD should find her proper curve and that is what happened.

What did the doctor recommend? ANother weight check at 15 months?
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Dropping off Curve
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 18:38:05 pm »
This is also an age where toddlers start to become active and start to find their "real" curve.
That's true, too.  They start losing their baby fat.  DS was 75%ile for weight until about 18 mo.  Now he's under 50%ile.
*formerly tersaseda*