Author Topic: MSPI LO and starting solids  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
MSPI LO and starting solids
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:34:16 pm »
Hi everyone! My dairy/soy intolerance LO is starting solids now at 7 months. We waited a  long time so we could let his tummy heal as much as possible. I started him on carrots last weekend. I decided to skip cereals all together based on a friend with a MSPI LO. I am thinking of moving to sweet potato next but wanted to see what you all recommend. Orange veggies first? Fruit? When do you did you introduce meats, cereal, green veggies? I am soooo nervous to upset his tummy since he has already been through so much!

Thanks!!
Katie

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Re: MSPI LO and starting solids
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 20:21:18 pm »
Hi,

It's a slow process, but you are doing the right things  :) I gave MPI DS carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, cucumber. Then tried broccoli and green beans.

Once he'd had a variety of fruit and veg I tried him on mixed purees. Cereal I left for a couple of months, then tried rice, then quinoa. He really wasn't all that keen at first, so he only gets a little mixed with puree now. He does like rice crackers though!

Meat and fish has been pretty much a disaster so far. He'll eat a bit of turkey but that's all  :( He had a bad reaction to beef (common in MPI LOs).

The main thing is to introduce foods singly for three days, watching for any reaction, then just gradually introduce harder to digest foods like cereals and proteins. MSPI and reflux babies can be fussy and slow to wean, so a good milk intake is essential.

HTH!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 00:55:20 am »
Thanks for your help. I actually tried bananas today so I hope that goes well. I have only given him a very small portion in the morning. When can I increase it to 2 meals a day? I am worried about giving him too much especially if he has a reaction. He seems so hungry and wants more when I feed him! :)
Katie

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:12:50 am »
When can I increase it to 2 meals a day?

I'd say once you know he's ok on a reasonable variety of foods (at least 6) then you can give him something different at lunchtime :)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 13:57:35 pm »
Thanks!
Katie