Author Topic: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet  (Read 51627 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2011, 03:36:36 am »
Wow Karen!  Knowledge is power though!  We are all on zinc piccolinate too.   Apparantly that form is well tolerated.    Zinc will heal your gut for sure. Not sure what 65 is though, here the recommended zinc range is 14 - 20 from a zinc plasma blood test.

What's hashimoto's - I have heard the word before.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:16 pm »
My results show that zinc, plasma or serum, should be between 70-150 ug/DL. And in the middle to higher end of that range is really where you want.

Hashimoto's is an auto-immune condition where your immune system is attacking your thyroid. More info here:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/hashimoto-disease.cfm
http://drknews.com/changing-your-diet-is-the-first-step-in-addressing-hashimotos/

Often people with Hashimoto's are already gluten intolerant but in any case, gluten makes Hashi's worse. I do also have a high IgG reaction to gluten it seems. For now the rest of my thyroid levels were normal but it does explain (somewhat) why I'm always so tired and achy and all!

Today was the second day on the zinc and I did have some stomach cramps last night and a bit this morning but nothing too bad...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline EloysH

« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:04 am »
ahh yes.... the US ranges are different and I need a conversion table for comparing values for our system.

Wow, you finally have some answers.... you must be on a bit of an information quest right now eh?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:11 pm »
Yes very happy to have some answers but still awaiting more - the results of the full IgG panel (guessing will be early next week). And still getting these rashes on my fingers and hands - so itchy! Now thinking tree nuts might not be the cause since I haven't had any in 3-4 days but have some new patches since yesterday. Sigh.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

hrk

« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2011, 00:46:53 am »
It's only on the hands?  Is it anything you are touching with your hands in particular like a hand lotion...we touch so many things; I wonder if it is contact irritation from something environmental?

Hugs for the mystery; the origin of them seems to be difficult to pin down.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2011, 01:52:34 am »
And still getting these rashes on my fingers and hands - so itchy! Now thinking tree nuts might not be the cause since I haven't had any in 3-4 days but have some new patches since yesterday. Sigh.

FWIW - with your recent dietary changes and added supplements your body needed, it could be possible your body is doing some detoxing - which could explain the rash.  When we started juicing more/upping probiotics ect. my hands also got itchy for a short period of time. Oddly enough, it was usually after I peeled veggies.  Within a few days however, my "die off" reaction of the detox started to subside, and so did the itchy hands. I always make sure we're doing plenty of epsom salt baths to help get all the gunk out and lessen the detox symptoms.

Where do you ladies find your zinc supplements? The only one I've been able to find has been zinc citrate. I haven't heard of zinc piccolinate.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:43 am »
you can buy it online very cheaply from iherb - this is where I get my supps - cheaper than buying in Australia!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:31 am »
Terrific, thanks! :D I'll check it out.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:21 am »
Not only on my hands but that is the main area. I also have an ongoing rash on my chest (especially around my left breast) and the back of my neck is very itchy, as is my scalp. But the fingers are the area where I get itchy bumps that turn into cracks and cuts if not healed. This all started BEFORE the diet changes though. Oils seem to make them worse (my fingers) but only if they are already irritated. So frustrating!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:35 am »
That is frustrating, and it sounds painful! :(  I hope you're able to sort it out soon. ((hugs))

hrk

« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2011, 03:51:58 am »
That is a puzzle! 

Shampoo?  Any changes there?  I have done a bit of the "no poo" or no shampoo thing.  I wonder if that could help, but it may not be related.  Just tossing out a crazy idea.  XXXXXXXX 

Here are a couple of websites about it. 

http://thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to-quit-shampoo-without-becoming-disgusting
http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/04/03/my-no-shampoo-hair-saga/

Offline EloysH

« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2011, 09:18:47 am »
I do know that zinc helps skin conditions immensly, but I realise that the skin only heals when the gut is healed, and zinc basically helps heal one's gut.  For my zinc, it will take about 6 months of supps to get to a decent level in the blood and beat down my high copper levels, so I am not expecting any major biochemical changes or gut changes until then.  For now though I can gratefully say that I have not suffered any anxiety at all since being on my new supps, (I am also on activated b6 and magnesium and well as methionine).  They said I would notice behavioural improvements and sleep improvements within weeks but the rest takes months.

It would be worth asking if you can get testing done for pyroluria (urine testing) and well as blood histamine. Low zinc people *tend * to have pyrolles, and if you do have it means your body cannot take up zinc or b6 at all and you need a special formula of supps so that your body can absorb these and often it means long term supps until you can get the zinc levels up.   Blood histamine levels are related too to all this and compounds the zinc situation.  I am on a facebook page of pyroluriacs and and finding a whole new world out there - and learning lots about this conditon everyday.  I have it borderline and Kai has is moderately.

hrk

« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2011, 13:20:15 pm »
How are things going for you and K?  I hope things are improving!

My only thought with you mentioning that oils are bothering your skin is that lots of "natural" shampoos have lots of essential oils.  Many EOs are actually skin irritants as well.  With you mentioning your scalp, hands, neck particularily, and your left breast...It sounds a lot like shampoo.  I was wondering if you have longer hair and it often rests on that left side while washing.  

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/irritation.htm  Here is a site to give a basic idea.  The soap books I have read mention this factor, and the books often have a chart outlining which ones can be skin irritants.  If I come across a better list online, I will let you know.  I think I can remember a good one from a soap making site, but I don't know where it is at the moment...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 13:21:52 pm by Jean :-) »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2011, 16:46:01 pm »
I'll check that out Jean, thanks! Though I've been using the same SLS free shampoo and conditioner for a while now and it doesn't seem to help or hurt matters and I don't wash my hair every day at all. Grrr.

Eloise, I looked that up (interesting) though I don't have any of the emotional symptoms. But will ask my practitioner about it. Maybe I just need to give the zinc more time anyway though as it's not even been a week.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
Its worth asking.  Kai and myself don't have the symptoms except I am a fairly anxious person but I have come up as borderline and Kai has it.   It is genetic though.  Some of the basic symptoms fomr memory are: anxiety, depressionm, panic attacks, mood swings, sensitivity to drugs and medications, all day brain fog, poor dream recall, ridges and white spots on nails,  family history or alcoholism or mental health issues.

Oh yes, Zinc takes months to build up... did you get your copper tested too since both are hand in hand, if the copper is high is must be actively brought down at the same time as increasing the zinc.