Author Topic: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet  (Read 51528 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:33 am »
I make waffles every other day with two eggs just lightly beaten.  They puff up a but within the waffle maker since the steam is applied from both sides -there is no need to beat the egg whites but the waffle is quite dense its not light and fluffy or air filled but light enoguh to enjoy KWIM?

I do it all by eye, just make up essentially a pancake mix - 1 cup GF flour (I use 1/2 cup buckwheat and 1/2 cup of the packet GF flour), rice milk and two eggs to get a thick consistency rather like a very thick custard or like thickened cream.   I also add pureed bokchoy and grated sweet potato or grated zucchini (really yummy with the zucchini). For a sweet version: grated apple and 1 teaspoon maple syrup.  The grated stuff might be about 1/2 a cup.  You can refrigerate left over mixture for up to two days and use.  They must be eaten fresh though do not keep well in fridge.  And any mixture with potato will not keep, it goes brown!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:50 am »
fabulous, thanks elo :-* not that K will prob eat it. he is worse than before with his fussiness after recent gastro. now flatly refusing to drink his milk too which i used to rely on for his vitamins and calcium cause he is still on such a restricted diet.

sherry, something to try that both my boys grab by the handful is roasted chickpeas. i buy a tin, peel the skins off (a little tedious but they rub off pretty easily), lightly spray with rice bran oil and lightly salt. DH LOVES them too and he's even harder to please. H will actually ask for these over popcorn now ;D

hrk

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 13:01:03 pm »
Great ideas, gals.  Heath will eat chick peas plain, too.  It reminds me that it has been a while! 

Kirry, hugs for the food refusal that is happening right now.  No fun there. 

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 18:43:17 pm »
Hey - it's funny that you mentioned the chickpeas. We just made a batch - by coincidence, and they did not turn out at all!!! The consistancy is really weird and they don't taste right. We did the recipe in failsafe. May have to look on line for better oven temps etc.
We didn't peel them either so that might help.

Also- funny that you mentioned the waffles Kirry - I guess we are all on the same wave length right now. Twice now I have made GF waffles. The first one turns out great, the next one and every one after that sticks to the maker!!!! Soooo frustrating. And also with using the egg substitute the batter seems to go runny very very quickly. So by the third waffle yesterday (because of the sticking) I had the throw out the rest of the batter and I just wanted to cry because these are expensive waffles!!!!

Kirry- with reg. egg- if you are just doing it quickly you don't have to beat waffles. But..... it does make such a difference on how the waffles turn out. I do it either way depending on how I feel. For the egg free receipes it does not call for beating. But, it might help in my case. Who knows. But, it's very frustrating. Lyle loves waffles. Thankfully I've been giving him the first waffle.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 19:55:48 pm »
The waffle iron people say not to do this, but the ONLY way I can keep the waffles from sticking after the first batch is to spray the iron before I add batter to it. Not sure it's good for the oil or if it changes the content enough to make that a no-go, though.

I also make sure I add a little extra baking powder partway thru the process, like when the batter is half-gone, which seems to help add a few more bubbles. I am WAY too lazy to do the egg-white-beating step! :D

Offline EloysH

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 21:55:51 pm »
Sherry:
Quote (selected)
The first one turns out great, the next one and every one after that sticks to the maker!!!!

Hugs Sher, I wish I could have been there to help save your expensive mixture  :(

I always rub oil into the waffle maker too!!!!   A sure fire way to prevent sticking.  The mixture will go quite thin it does sometimes for me too, just add more  GF flour.  You can also add grated swede into the mix if you want to get more vitamins into hmi, I bet he won't notice, the grated bits completely cook in minutes it's pretty cool.

The chickpeas need to be roasted slowly but for quite a qhile like maybe 30 mins on a moderate oven.  They go crunchy throughout.  No mushiness left.

Hugs for the food refusals Kirry, but to be expected with the sickness right?   Kai ate solidly for weeks after all his sickness and now finally is looking stocky.  Can't wait to get him weighed. He defo lost weight when he was sick though  :(

hrk

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:23 am »
Sher, do you have a griddle that may allow you to repurpose the mixture in to pancakes, if it doesn't work out right?  Will that not work as a back up plan?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 08:54:03 am »
sorry i can't keep up - thanks for the advice about going via the nutritionist for testing.  the health food/vitamin shop at the mall is offering the services of Nutritional Wellness Australia and uses computer technology (Bio Meridian Technology) - sound like hogwash or is it something any of you have heard of - uses body's vibrations...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 20:57:09 pm »
Elo - he will notice :(  I can't tell you how many times he ate something - I messed with it, and he no longer eats it :(  I have to be really careful about that. He seems to have a super sense of taste/texture and small for these matters.

Jean - I didn't think of trying to add more flour, the first time we did it, we did get a skillet out and try to make them pancakes. but, they didn't turn out either. So I'll try the flour next time. :)

First day on my own and it's been a rough one. I hope things turn up soon.

We now seem to have OT for both boys into the mix. In spite of that I still woke Emory at 2:00 from his nap as he usually fights me (not DH) going to bed. So I need all the help I can get in that area. So hopefully cutting the nap to 2 hours will work.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 23:38:23 pm »
Just read this thread - interesting!

Deb - curious how your testing comes out. But aren't you off gluten/wheat anyway? If so, the results shouldn't really be accurate? We did this test for DS and were very happy with it. Here is the link and attached were/are his results.http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp

Given his dairy intolerance do you think ghee would work for him? We are currently using Earth Balance.

LOVE roasted chickpeas here. I drain and rinse a can of them, dry them well between paper towels (to loosen the skins), then remove all the skins (yes tedious but helps the texture) then dry them again, then mix them with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt and then roast them at 400 for 40 minutes. Then I stir in 1 tbsp honey and roast for another 7 minutes. So good.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 23:49:41 pm »
I have still been drinking a beer or two now and again (OK, daily - it IS Summer! ;)), so still getting some gluten. (There is gluten-free beer, but I have yet to find one I like. :P)

The gliadin tests came back today. one came back Negative, the other "Equivocal."  ???

hrk

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
Deb, I wonder what that means?  I hope the dr has an idea for you. 

Sher, I think you are right to keep preparing the food with the textures he likes.  He is already being presented with many new foods/flavors, I would guess.  Out of his seven foods, how many can he still eat on the ed?  I still need to look at supplements, that reminds me!  Sorry!  Did you spot anything?  I will look a bit today. 

Eloys and Kirry, I wonder if you have any vitamin suggestions.  I remember that Eloys mentioned Kindervital for H, way back when.  It was available here.  Perhaps something esle would be available.  Is kindervital out for certain? 

Offline deb

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 13:30:31 pm »
My doctor is diet-clueless. :P What it means for me is that I'll be cutting gluten entirely - most grains period - for a couple of weeks to see if I notice any differences.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 13:07:25 pm »
Quote (selected)
He seems to have a super sense of taste/texture and small for these matters.

I guess trusting the food is important for him then  :)

Deb:  I didn't try the bio meridian technology although I don't think it's total hogwash, I do think it has some merit.  But not scientific though.

Jean: Kindervital is definantly out.   Sher, recommended supplements are at the back of the RPAH elimination diet handbook. I hope some of those are available in the USA.  I didn't use a general multiitamin for Kai, we use a specific combinations of vitamins and minerals given his known food intolerances.

hrk

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 18:11:39 pm »
Sher, how are you hanging in there?  I hope you are doing ok.  XXXXXXXXXXX

Eloys, I think bio meridian is the same as bio energetic.  Did they have you hold an cylinder type thing on your body and then take another piece and touch other points on the body?

I will say that may radar was up because the natropath wanted me to hold one of the pieces on H's tummy the first time, while she did the testing.  Then she said she would let him hold it the second time.  Then she said he would be sounding much better the second time because of the supplements she suggested.  ;-)  (Yes, the supplements that have alcohol in them...)  Gee, I could guess that it would sound different by the fact that I am no longer holding it, and he is instead?? 

As Eloys said, it isn't scientifically proven.  Deb, I think you should do some reading and then make your own decision; don't let me particularly persuade you one way or another.  This was our experience with a person that obviously had some credability issues.  I do think there are good natropaths out there, but she definitely was not one of those.