Author Topic: Is this an allergy?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Is this an allergy?
« on: July 07, 2011, 18:51:34 pm »
Ok so I just need somewhere to put down my thoughts really and see what you wonderful ladies think this is. My DD has had 'issues' from day 1 with milk feeds, at first it caused coughing and wheezing and screaming. She was diagnosed with silent reflux and finally at 6 months put on Lansoprozole and all seemed much better. She has however always had this cough, mostly only when sleeping and she still wheezes after a drink of milk (sounds like a cat purring). Our doc has finally agreed that he thinks she has some sort of allergy and she is having testing done in a few weeks. Someone a while ago on here (sorry can't remember who) said it could be MPI and this has really got me thinking. Mainly because since we have swapped from Enfamil formula to cow's milk she has been having some terrible NW and EW and just seems generally more grumpy some days. If I list her symptoms will you see what you think please...

Persistent cough
runny nose
silent reflux (medicated, but slow weaning ATM)
rash/red dry skin around her mouth
constipated some days/loose on others
NW and EW crying some nights/STTN on others
picky eater and always has been
eats tons some days/eats next to nothing other days
often sticks fingers down her throat to gagging point on purpose

Now all of this might mean nothing but I just feel there is something else going on iykwim? Would be really grateful for some opinions. TIA.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Is this an allergy?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:15:18 am »
It could be allergy or intolerance to dairy. Allergy tends to produce immedate effects and linked to skin issues, rashes etc. Intolerances are slow to build up over days or weeks and usually include digestive upset. 

If she tests negative to allergies you can trial a dairy free diet for two weeks to test for MPI.  If her symptoms improve and disappear, great!  Then add a big milk feed back into the diet once a day for a few days - up to 7 days as a "challenge"  Her reaction to the milk will give you your answer!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 20:17:29 pm »
Thanks Eloise. Will wait and see what the test show then. Hope we get some answers though.

Offline lula21

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:21 am »
Hi

Just wanted to say my LO was diagnosed with milk, soy and egg allergy, I too felt something wasn't right form day 1, he had exactly the same symptoms you mention, the cat purr wheeze sound is a classic symptom.

It took me four months of GP appt's before anyone would listen to me, sounds as though you have a GP who is taking you seriously s hopefully you can get things sorted quickly, once we changed formula for DS he was a different boy.

Good luck

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:08 am »
Thanks so much Lula21. What does your DS drink now then? Do you have a special formula? Our testing isn't until 10th Aug but going to try to bring it sooner. Just want some answers and to get this sorted once and for all.

Offline lula21

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:29:47 pm »
He is on neocate now, we tried a few others but he didn't really improve on them, is there a chance the gp will prescribe you  hypoallergenic formula just to try before the test?  It is expensive so I know some won't,  I pushed for it and had DS on it a few months before test.

Pediatrician diagnosed DS at first on symptoms alone, and we finally had tests to prove it so I could be sure when weaning.

DS has reflux also this is also a common symptom of milk allergies/intolerances.

I know how you feel, its the not knowing and wondering whether what you are feeding them is harming them. 

Hopefully you an bring test forward, and you will have answers soon. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 21:43:25 pm »
Hi, I am going to stick my neck out and say that it sounds unlikely to be an allergy. I THINK you would have seen some typical allergic reactions and I would have thought that they would be swift - I am thinking vomiting in particular, then hives etc.

It could well be an intolerance though. I am not familiar with Enfamil formula - is it a hypo allergenic milk? Have you ever tried taking dairy out of your LO's diet?

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:45:29 am »
Enfamil is just a thickened formula for reflux babies, it is still cows milk based. I totally agree with you about the lack of more serious symptoms and this is why I am so confussed. I have never tried removing dairy from DD's diet no, as the docs have always said they don't think it is that. Her testing is now on 26th July, managed to move it forward so just hope we get some answer then. Yesterday she woke up and her rash around her mouth and chin was just awful, bright red and all chapped. She had also had such a terrible unsettled night. But she hadn't eaten anything different the day before, so I just have no idea.  :-\

Offline EloysH

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 13:13:03 pm »
So if you were going the diet elimination process you will need to change her formula to a dairy free formula or at least a hypoallergenic formula but not soy as alot of MPI babies also are soy intolerant.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 18:10:21 pm »
She is on cow's milk to drink now and not formula. So how would I go about that?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 23:39:03 pm »
If you want to go through the process of elimination diet, cut all dairy and soy for 2-3 weeks from her diet until symptoms clear.  Then do a "challenge" by giving a cup of milk per day for a few days, watch and wait for her reactions.

Her calcium needs will need to be met by fish with bones, spinach, calcium fortified rice milk or oat milk bok choy, sesame or tahini, if she is dairy free.   She will need extra fats in her diet if she is not getting the milk so make sure to give avocado and mix egg yolks into her veges or egg meals.

Offline lula21

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
I think there is only one way you will find out for sure and that is through the test, although they don't show results for intolerances,
the other ladies are right about allergies showing up immediately and intolerances taking a while for symptoms to show. I would also say though that all babies react in different ways to food allergies, and it can all be very confusing.

Again I support everyone in that cutting out dairy will show you if your LO is having problems with it, it's not easy but it's also not easy looking after a poorly LO.

In answer to your question re drinking non dairy milk, if its proven that LO has milk allergy/intolerance then you should be prescribed hypoallergenic formula for them to drink, we have slowly tried goats milk which can still cause an allergic reaction in some but seems okay for our DS. 

Also some LO's are only intolerant to the lactose in dairy so you could also trial lactose free products and see if there is any difference.