Author Topic: any experience making apricot puree  (Read 7355 times)

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
any experience making apricot puree
« on: July 08, 2011, 19:12:52 pm »
I used the recipe on the wholesomebabyfood website for making apricot puree from sun-dried apricots.  I am just curious about the texture, it is very thick (even with adding more fluid) and really reminds me of a prune paste.  Anyone else used this recipe?  And if so what did your puree look like? 

*Kristen*

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 19:37:53 pm »
Yes, I used to puree apricots.  I never used a recipe so don't know what yours is, but I steamed or boiled dried apricots and then whizzed them in the food processor with some of the cooking water. And it was like a paste - I used to spread it on pancakes for DS!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 20:47:05 pm »
Made it the same as Mashi, it reminded me of the texture of a thick, stickier jam.  We used it liek a spread adn to add to all fruit or veg.  I ate it on taoast. very high in iron and dee-lish.

Make sure you buy un-sulpharized, unsweetened dry ones.  So if the apricots look very bright orange and pretty they have preservatives and possibly sugar added.  You want them to look ugly an brown-ish. FWIW.  

I got them at Superstore or Zerhs in the healthy sections or the Bulk Barn has both the healthy and non healthy versions too.

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
Re: any experience making apricot puree
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 21:32:26 pm »
Thanks so much, I did get the organic un-sulphered ones.  It is a pretty gross looking puree, but I am glad to know that this is what it is supposed to look like!  I was thinking of mixing it with pear when first introducing it.  I was going to give it a go tomorrow.

Another quick question did anyone give dehydrated fruit to their LOs as finger food?  We have a bulk barn that just opened and they have a large assortment of dehydrated (non suphared) fruit.

*Kristen*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 20:15:26 pm »
did anyone give dehydrated fruit to their LOs as finger food?
I've given DS prunes - he loves them.  Don't give more than one though!  He's only been getting solids for a couple of weeks and finds these easy to pick up and gum on (no teeth yet).  He did once try to swallow rather a large piece and it came back up, he just picked it up and had another go.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:19:06 am »
I used to cook it with apples and puree them together, it loosens it up a bit and mixed with yoghurt it was a bit like custard!   Yum!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:22:37 am »
I stew the apricots with apple and pear and purreed it all together and added to porridge.  My DDs both love it. 

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
I stew the apricots with apple and pear and purreed it all together and added to porridge.  My DDs both love it. 

Same here. Works on müsli, too.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 20:29:59 pm »
I simmer with pitted prunes and fresh pear - solves any bit of constipation in a few hours ;)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:51 am »
I also used the apple / apricot puree the other day in a sugar free crumble for my toddler:

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/sugar-free-fruit-crumble-for-babies-and.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/