Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 3  (Read 59362 times)

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 3
« on: July 11, 2011, 16:23:42 pm »
Continued on from here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=184435.msg2266234#msg2266234

Mods are deleting any posts meant simply to m@rk your spot in a thread in order to keep the BW boards as neat as can be. Please post an actual comment when you are ready to participate in the discussions.
Thx folks :-*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 16:26:23 pm by Canwi »

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 3
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 17:23:42 pm »
Thanks for those recipes Sara!

DS asked for a fruit leather today and held and licked it but didn't eat it. But at least been more willing to even consider some new things. But still so picky...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 17:57:19 pm »
I am sooo far behind, we have been so busy!  Which has made it hard to eat healthy.  :P  BUT, yesterday we were at the zoo, and I packed a lunch for us.  But of course once we were there, DH and I saw the fast food and couldn't help ourselves.   :-[  But even though we had french fries, T just kept eating the veggies I brought!  And even later that afternoon, I brought them out again for a snack, and he was just munching away on them!  He never really liked raw veggeis before, but now he seems to be all for them.  Yay!

F on the other hand, I swear could live off french fries.  What is it with those things?  They are like crack to kids.  If F sees them, he won't eat anything else.  Good thing he is the same for sweet potato friends, so I try to make those often and he will eat a ton of them.

So we are doing ok.  That really awful phase seems to have passed and hasn't been back yet (knock on wood!).  They don't always eat great, but have been eating fairly decently.  Can't complain in that department.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:46:11 am »
Thanks for the recipes, Sara. Glad to hear your kids are eating well, Martina :)
*Sarah*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:47 am »
Well, eating well sometimes.  They hardly ate any dinner tonight.  :P  But that could have something to do with the fact that we went strawberry picking this afternoon and they were popping back the strawberries the whole time.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:26 am »
Mmmmm....strawberries. I miss the days when DS used to wolf those down! Martina, also glad to hear your boys are eating well, at least some of the time.

Things are the same here. No better but at least no worse...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline spodnic

• Samuel and Rose's mum
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 13:16:17 pm »
Hi all, I'm new here. Not sure if I'm in the right place though - DS is 4.5yo, he is the picky eater, but DD is 20mo and has just started refusing some foods esp. jars (which I'm kind of glad about, but it forces me now to rethink the whole family's meals into something better).
Is this the right thread? I looked under Activity>Pre-schoolers and beyond but couldn't really see that much about food.

Thanks.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 22:15:45 pm »
Welcome spodnic!

Some mild successes here. Sweet potato fries have been added back in (yay!), he tried fish sticks (and seemed to like them well enough) tonight (yay!), he'll sometimes eat a roasted potato piece or two, bananas are being accepted again (rarely but once in a while), goat's milk yogurt has been added back in (once or twice a week only but still something!) and raisin toast has been added back in too (all natural one thankfully). Still a LONG way to go but better than it was at least!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 23:36:04 pm »
Karen, that all sounds fantastic!

We're doing pretty good.  F has been back and forth a bit due to teeth, but now that the bottom two molars are in he is happy to eat again.  I'm sure once the top ones come he'll start throwing again.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 15:50:36 pm »
Great to hear with F!

Another success just now. Made some meatballs and usually I make them all in the sauce (after browning them first) so they come out soft and taste like the sauce and DH and DD and i love them that way. But DS won't touch them. This time I kept some of them out of the sauce and cooked them in the oven after the browning. They are quite small (maybe an inch in diameter) and he just happily ate three of them for lunch (which according to my calorie count analysis tool is half an adult serving). Yahoo!

One trick that seems to be working for us, in addition to the sleep talk (which I have the book and totally SWEAR by) is that he LOVES music and is currently addicted to us singing both Row Row Row Your Boat and Itsy Bitsy Spider. I can get him to try more foods by promising him I'll sing if he does. It doesn't work for something he's TOTALLY freaked out by/opposed to, just gives a little encouragement when needed until he realizes he likes something and makes meal times more fun.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 23:37:02 pm »
I think I've been in denial all this time, but I think I have a picky eater on my hands :( This is coming off of my twins who are literally human garbage cans and all they do all day is want to eat different foods. So this is all very new to me. Add the fact that she's still MSPI and can't tolerate even a hint of soy or dairy, and I'm really starting to struggle.

As an infant, E quickly got to the point where she would only eat orange purees. Sometimes bananas, never applesauce until recently. I switched to blw around 10.5 months and it got a lot better but now she's really refusing a lot. I think it may be a texture issue as right now my best luck is baked breads, cookies and muffins. So I'm getting out the fruit and veggies, and pureeing them to add to her baked goodies. I'm wondering a bit if teeth are causing the latest bit of food refusal as even her pasta that she loved is getting refused. I know for a fact that taste has a lot to do with her preferences because some purees would be readily accepted and some were gagged on very early on. I'll include a gag picture to show what I'm dealing with, and to see what you all think about it simply being taste. The pic was taken months ago, but the gag face stays the same. It used to be hilarious, but now it's getting a little frustrating :( She typically only gags once and then spits the food out pushes the spoon or my hand away when I try to offer it again. And now it's just being tossed off of the tray. I keep offering and keep offering being non-chalant about it, but she just keeps refusing. I will say though, that she typically loves meat. Potatoes are a hit or miss, most veggies are now refused, but fruits are ok. Cooked foods have to be hot.

So I need some ideas. Pureed fruit on toast is refused but she loves toast. Rice with meat and a homemade sweet n sour sauce are ok-ish. Eggs in any form are refused - still trying after a few months but now I go a couple of days in between tries and present them cooked differently. Rice crackers are good as are french fries, but don't have much nutritional value. We're going to drive across the country (which will take about 12 days), and I need some ideas of what to feed this child when we stop to eat. The MSPI is the hardest to get around with store bought food. I haven't yet tried store bought bread, but will attempt it before we leave for our trip.

Dh is pretty picky himself and always was as a child. I think he really has a good understanding of her picky-ness. I'm wondering if this could be hereditary, but really hoping that she'll grow to like some new foods.

The weirdest part of all of this is how much she LOVES her hypo-allergenic formula ??? It's vile and disgusting and I gag when smelling it. I just don't get it ???
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Etsy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 13:29:51 pm »
Hi, been a while so glad to be back, well my gorgeous little boy who would eat anything is now almost 3 and is super picky.
he does not like to try anything new, he eats a cooked meal with veggies and meat at school. I am told its because all the other
kids are eating... He eats plain yogurt, fruit, homemade soup and weetbix. Very sceptical to try anything new. Any advice would really
be appreciated! Thanks so much:)

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 20:34:19 pm »
Hi!

Can't believe we are on here now..So glad to have somewhere to turn.

Just fixed (did I jinx it? ) a sleep problem and now DS is being very very picky. I must say I totally blame myself being a neurotic Mummy who had (has? ) PND. Was so concerned that DS would eat that I began giving him stuff I knew he would eat and have narrowed down his food choices to nothing. : (
When he was younger he would eat a lot of variety of foods, always favoured meats and not great on carbs. Liked strong favours too.

Now he will eat - Rice is the only carb he eats well, sometimes chips(not at home) any type of sausage except frankfurter type, homemade burgers by my DH of pork, lamb or beef, meatballs (homemade or Ikeas frozen) chicken nuggets, VEG - sweetcorn or cucumber, Fruit - grapes, apple, strawberries, blueberries, dried fruits. Likes rice cakes and oatcakes. Toast with PB, nutella or jam. PB is the ONLY sandwich he will eat except maybe jam.

He loved a veg curry they used to have at Nursery but that cook left. This was FULL of veg and chickpeas so was really disappointed when it was replaced. Doesn't eat any main courses at Nursery now but will eat puddings : ). Managed to get the curry recipe and trying it this week.

What I want to ask is...should I be worried?How bad does that seem to you?
 It upsets me so much as my stepson was such a picky eater and I vowed DS wouldn't be. I get very anxious about it and cry sometimes. Am very frustrated.I don't often attempt to give DS new foods - sometimes but not often.

Thanks for looking over this for me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 22:27:21 pm »
Hi Nelliestar and {{{hugs}}}

We've made a lot of progress here by giving her favourites and casually adding a few other things in from time to time. VERY casually and not all the time. She's getting a few new favs (not many) but there's a few new things to choose from. I have the most success after a good nap and when she's good and hungry. Not grumpy hungry though iykwim. Supper time has almost a 100% fail rate for new foods so I'm assuming level of tiredness and my level of sanity at that time of day rubbing off. I am lucky that she likes all bread type things like cookies and cakes. She'll eat any type of pureed veg in it so I know she's getting what she needs.

Best of luck and hope things improve. For both of us. Rice is a hit or miss. I'm finding sweet sauces or even fruit purees help it out a lot.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 21:02:18 pm »
Thanks  Vicki!

The tiredness issue makes sense to me definitely.  wish I had your success with veg puree!

Today we paid close attention to the snacks we offered and hardly offered anything between meals which made a bit of a difference. And Bram also ate 10 peas with his dinner! : ) 
Baby steps...

Nell xxxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx