Author Topic: Solid refusal and too much milk at 12 mths?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Solid refusal and too much milk at 12 mths?
« on: July 12, 2011, 17:33:31 pm »
My LO will be 1 in 2 weeks and lately he is doing spoon refusal but is also throwing all his finger food on the floor. Should I just call meal over? He is a big baby and was eating A LOT but is not growing much now and eating way less. I also wonder if I feed too much milk... Here is my day

6:30- wake him up and BF left side
6:45- pump other breast ( about 6 oz) for later feeds then BF Right side
8- solids. pureed pear mixed with yogurt and oatmeal plus fruit and toast finger food and in cup 60 ml EBM then 60 ml formula if still thirsty
11- BF right side then small snack
12:30 lunch of pureed fruit, pureed veg, minced meat with rice cereal plus finger foods of fruit/veg/meat/cheese,  in cup 60 ml EBM then 60 ml formula if still thirsty
4-BF left side
5-dinner of pureed fruit, pureed veg, minced meat with rice cereal plus finger foods of fruit/veg/meat/cheese,  in cup 60 ml EBM then 60 ml formula if still thirsty
7:15- BF both sides then bed.

I don't give milk at meals in cup till after done eating and he gets water in sippy between meals. He also has his own spoon at meals he will chew on but will only eat puree if distracted. If he is watching me spoon it out and bring it towards him he won't eat it.  Meals are not fun anymore and he is not happy. What to do? Should I give up puree and let him self feed finger food, but if he throws it on the floor then what? Also, I am going to change my 11 am BF to a snack first then BF after starting today.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Solid refusal and too much milk at 12 mths?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:22:00 am »
Usually when my LOs would start throwing food I figured the weren't hungry and let them down.  I'm going to move this over to Eating for Toddlers for you since he is just about 1yo now.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 17:05:26 pm »
I wonder if he is bored with what I serve him since it is very basic plain stuff. I think I will try to make dinner for myself that he can eat also so he can try some recipes with more textures and flavors... Last night he ate very well with some new stuff on his plate. I notice he likes to eat the same as me now too. Good incentive for healthier eating!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 17:08:04 pm »
Yes, my boys get bored easily too.  I found 12mos to be a tricky time for both of them.  They were both picky and into throwing food.  It's like all of a sudden they realize that it's fun.  :P  It does pass.  Like I said, if they would be tossing stuff off they're tray, I would just let them down so as to not let it go on, kwim?  But it is one of those phases that just kinda passes with age.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 17:13:17 pm »
If I put him down when he starts then he would not get a meal since he does it right away! Should I do that then wait 5 min and start over?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 17:15:27 pm »
You can.  In my experience, if they are throwing right from the start then they are not going to eat much anyway!  So I wouldn't worry about that.  Try again in a bit if you like.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010