Author Topic: Solids and milk  (Read 1963 times)

Offline 1976sarahb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 13, 2011, 19:21:08 pm »
Hi

I started solids at five months with DD, mainly due to advice that it may help her stop being sick so frequently (it's not reflux or allergy according to doc as she is putting weight on and takes food easily - just a sickie baby!)

She took to solids great, she's now 25 weeks and taking two solids mini meals a day (around three to four teaspoons at each meal) I started her on baby rice and now she takes veg to - so far sweet potatoes, carrots and broccoli I did the three day rule to check for allergies and all seems fine however she does seem to be more spewie, this isn't specific to any veg/cereal, just being sick small to medium amounts more frequently, so much for solids helping! She loves her solids and is still taking the same amount of milk (formula approx. 35oz per day)

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to look like a crazy mum and take her back to the doc's or Hv as the seem quite dismissinve and say it's just a stage, I know I'm lucky as I've never had a problem with her refusing food (of any type!!) but i'm just worried I'm missing something.

Sarah x 

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Solids and milk
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 19:28:19 pm »
Well..... not wanting to contradict your doctor, but IME a "sicky" baby IS a refluxer.

Can you try some smaller feeds, maybe a bit more frequent but back off on solids, and see if that makes a difference?

Offline 1976sarahb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 20:03:26 pm »
Hi debs,

I'm so pleased you said that as I really feel that DD was not just going through 'a stage' as they keep saying to me!

I've been giving her smaller more frequent milk feeds for the last 6 weeks but she still seems to be sick, I'll try dropping thx solids see if it helps

Thanks for such a quick relpy

Sarah x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:57:46 am »
I think I would check in with her doctor, just to be on the safe side, kwim?  I don't think she should be bringing up her milk and solids that frequently.  :-\
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 21:01:53 pm »
Hi,  have you had a look at this thread? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0 does any of that seem familiar? Is she happy in herself generally? Any eczema? Sleeps OK?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 13:16:47 pm »
Does she seem to be uncomfortable or having trouble settling for sleep at all?  That might point to reflux pain and hence being more spewy.

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 13:35:00 pm »

I strongly agree with Deb...if the valve that usually stops the stomach contents coming back up isn't fully developed yet or not working properly, a very common thing in babies, that is reflux!! My DD has reflux but has always put on weight, in fact she's pretty huge but from 2 weeks she is sick on and off all day and yes with solids she has had periods of it being a bit worse and a bit better. She's now over 6 months and sits up a bit. If she leans forward this makes her throw up so you can imagine how often she is sick at the moment!! She is on Losec but if your LO is not in pain perhaps ask for infant Gaviscon which is the first thing they try for most kids. It ought to thicken the stomach contents enough to stop the contant vomitting.

I haev to say I eouldn't start cutting the solids if you have this well established. With my DD she goes through ups and downs with the sickiness and really it's often down to her mobility and the positions she's in so she is sick more when:
lying on her tummy
being carried on the hip
sitting up and leaning forward
she turns quickly or reaches in one direction very quickly

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 23:45:19 pm »
Some are happy spitters, so try to figure out if she is in pain or not  :)

Offline 1976sarahb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 15:44:37 pm »
Hi

Sorry I've not been on the past few days, thanks for the advice too. I've made an appointment with our doctor so fingers crossed, I'm going to ask to try the infant gaviscon and see how it goes

Thanks again

Sx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 15:47:41 pm »
Good luck, keep us posted.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline 1976sarahb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 17:44:06 pm »
hey ho!  What a week, gaviscon worked but gave the poor lamb constipation!  I spoke to the doc again and we're trying less doses in the day, the poo situation much better (and looser!), still a little sick but no where as bad as it was so seem to have hit a happy medium..... fingers crossed

thanks for all the advice

sx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 00:44:59 am »
Well that is good news, at least it seems like you know what the problem was.  I hope the gaviscon helps and hopefully she will start to outgrow the reflux some more soon.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010