Author Topic: quick question - baby led weaning  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Littlemissbump82

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 14, 2011, 21:13:53 pm »
Hi, I have been doing baby led weaning with my 7 month old for a few weeks and she is really getting the hang of it ... I just had a couple of questions ...

I have been putting a variety of foods on her tray (today she had broccoli, asparagus, mange tout and pasta) she ate most of it ... she has been really really fussy and grizzly between feeds the last 2 days with terrible nappies I can't work out if it is a reaction to food or her teeth. My mum looked after her last night and she can't get her head around BLW - she thinks I'm introducing too many different types of food to her diet in one go. Could this be the case? Traditional weaning says one fruit puree at a time etc but from day one she's had toast, veggies, fruit etc ... I dont want to be making her ill though.

also, my mum was asking how am I going to teach her to eat with a spoon eventually? She's worried that Jasmine will always play with her food and only know how to use her hands (I know this won't happen!!) I think because my nephew who is 3 is still a very messy eater and hardly uses cutlery (he wasnt weaned with BLW which proves my point really!) she worries that the same will happen with my daughter - my mum can't handle the mess! She thinks I'm mad!

Thank you for your help  :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 00:41:50 am »
Part of the BLW theory is that a baby's system *should* be mature enough to handle most foods after 6mos.  Of course lots of moms will tell you their LO's had sensitive tummies much longer than this.  Personally I always felt that after 6/7mos with my LOs, anything goes really.  BUT if you are worried, you could start cutting back on the amounts of different foods you are offering and seeing if it makes a difference.  Some foods too are more likely to cause trouble than others, like grains or dairy, so I'd cut those out first.  But I think in general most fruits and veg are just fine unless baby has a sensitive tummy.

Again IMO, it's totally not true that offering finger foods now will mean baby will not be able to use a spoon.  In fact you can start giving a preloaded spoon now and letting baby learn how to use it.  I actually think if anything the opposite would be true, and that a BLW baby would learn how to use cutlery sooner because they have been practicing the motor skills needed by feeding themselves, where as a spoon fed baby doesn't get to use their hands at all, kwim?  I think I would take your mother's opinions into consideration, and politely acknowledge them, but trust your instincts.  ;)

Also, even a spoon fed baby will make a mess with food once they start getting finger foods, whether it's at 7mos or a 1yr, so I think if you start earlier then they get the hang of eating earlier and the mess becomes less earlier, kwim? 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline georgina_i

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: quick question - baby led weaning
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 18:55:11 pm »
With regards to the spoon.. It's worth remembering that babies love immitating.  I also started BLW and my little one loves it the most when we're eating together and she can do what mummy is doing.  I believe it will be the same with the spoon.  Once her motor skills are better, I'm sure your baby will try to copy you and also try to use a spoon. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 19:20:43 pm »
my mum was asking how am I going to teach her to eat with a spoon eventually?
My LO is 6 months and 5 days, so a little younger than yours.  He knew exactly what to do with a spoon from the first time I offered him one.  I bet yours know how to use a spoon too.  The only thing I found is that after this initial trial with spoon (it was at an ice cream parlour of all places and he got a half spoon of ice cream) I tried him at home, gave him the baby spoon which is plastic and he kicked off.  He was furious that I was giving him a 'toy' whilst I sat and fed my face.  His 'toy' had food on it but he really could not recognise the plastic spoon as a spoon, it was just an object.  Ever since I have given metal teaspoons and he shovels the food in.  Yes it goes on his face and hands and yes he tends to drop the spoon when he wants a re-load (so I take 4 to the table to allow for drops) but if I am quick, and polite, I can get the spoon off him to re-load before it's dropped to the floor.  Thought this info might help if you find LO bashing the plastic spoon on the table in temper.

Offline Littlemissbump82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 20:24:35 pm »
thank you everyone, I have a feeling she is going to be fine with a spoon when the time comes - I don't know anyone else who is doing BLW and when my mum goes on and on I doubt myself and wonder if I'm doing the right thing!! I think the grizzliness was definitely to do with teeth - she has her 2 back molars coming already :( I will keep offering her lots of different foods - broccoli is her favourite it's amazing watching her eat it! And will try with the spoon soon ... and prepare for lots of mess! But like you say, it's going to be messy eitherway and because she'll be used to feeding herself her motor skills are developing really well so hopefully she'll adapt to it well. Thank you for all taking the time to get back to me :)

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 20:21:26 pm »
My LO is 9 months old and i also started like you and put pieces on her plate but when I started making food that can't be held (mash potato, bolognese etc) i would load spoons for her and she eats so well. of course she's more messy than her friends but recently she's trying to scoop food with her spoon like i do.. it's so cute! i also had ressistance from friends and family but they're all so impressed with her motor skills now and the fact that she tries any food put infront of her (after inspecting it first!!)

:-)