Author Topic: 12 week old not even close to sleeping through the night...blah!  (Read 1069 times)

Offline vancouverbabies

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Ok, would love some feedback from FF moms with 12 week babies!
My little guy was breastfeed exclusively until about 10 weeks, then transitioned to formula. He's more than doubled his weight already,
I think he's around 17 lbs or more at this point.
He is fed at 7ish, 10, 1, 4, and 645ish, then bed at around 7:30 (very baby whispered). His feed volumes range from 5 oz to 6.5 oz. He takes short naps, i.e. the 45 minutes phenomenon, but is starting
to lengthen them a little more. He goes right to sleep at night and wakes only to feed, very easy to resettle at night.
I don't dream feed necessarily, as he always wakes anyway between 1030 and 1100 to feed a full 5 oz feed. However, he always wakes EXACTLY 3.5 hours later
but only usually takes 3 oz. He then wakes to eat a good bottle at 7 am.
So...I find this 3 oz feed pointless and he's so big, I think it's time to us all to get longer sleeps!
Do I gradually decrease the 3 oz feed and then try water? Or, do I try to stretch him out longer and just give him his soother and see if he can go longer? I did the first strategy with my twin daughters which worked really well. I'd almost rather cut it out entirely but I wonder if he'll start waking earlier then.
Would love feedback-thank you Mamas.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 12 week old not even close to sleeping through the night...blah!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:51:25 am »
12 weeks is really young to be sleeping through and there is a big growth spurt at this age, most babies are on at least 1 NF after a DF at this age.

I would try and resettle at the night waking with the soother, but if you can't assume it's hunger and feed him. I think 12 weeks is too young to be weaning nightfeeds as their tummies are still tiny. Also big babies can take bigger feeds, but they also need more calories than a smaller baby to be able to maintain their current weight and grow!

If you really feel it's a habitual wake then you could try wake to sleep to shift his sleep cycle and see if he sleep through the waking time.

Laura