EAT > Bottle Feeding

8 month old refusing bottle

<< < (3/3)

kenakit:
Oh my goodness Kara! Ahh! Well I'm so glad they were able to "clean her out" and things are better for you now :) You trusted your mommy senses and you were right that something was up!

My LO is doing better I think, she popped another tooth through and has been eating 5oz bottles every four hours pretty consistently, plus solids. She's been sleeping better, too!  I'm so hoping this is near the end of this bottle craziness. It's hard on a Mama's heart! 

*Kara*:
I have switched her back to Good Start and she is eating more now :)  Happy momma!!

Glad that your LO seems to be on the mend too - we haven't got any teeth yet!

quddlefish:
This is an old post, but I found it when I was searching for help, so I thought I'd reply here with how I handled my 8 month old who suddenly refused taking her bottle.

My 8 month old suddenly refused the bottle when we started introducing formula. At first we thought she simply hated the taste of formula, so I would add it to her solid foods. She went for it, so we tried giving her the formula in a bottle again. No dice. Went back to offering formula with food with some success, but not in the volume we needed her to take.

The major breakthrough was two-fold: we got faster flow nipples AND let her take the bottle, with warm formula, in an upright, seated position.

She used to be in a reclined position when she bottle-fed (typical 45deg). But with a faster flow, she was essentially drowning. In an upright, seated position, she can turn her head away from the bottle to give herself a break. She turns back to the bottle when she's ready for more.

She needed a few bottle-feedings (just 3 sessions) to get used to the new position and the new flow, but now she's not turning away as often and can better control her own intake. Hope this helps!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version