Author Topic: Help me out girls! Wholegrain intolerance?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Help me out girls! Wholegrain intolerance?
« on: July 16, 2011, 20:48:31 pm »
So I'm of the opinion that DS can't tolerate wholemeal bread or wholegrain bread.  I am assuming that also would include brown rice and pasta.  What other things should I be avoiding?  Shreddies for instance?

DH thinks I'm crazy ::)  I want to try it for 2 weeks without.  I *was* doing it until yesterday when DS came home with banana and choc chip muffins they made at preschool and I asked what colour flour it was and he said brown...  they looked like they'd been made with wholemeal flour too.
LAURA xx

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Help me out girls! Wholegrain intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 20:56:22 pm »
Send your DH over to the Paleo thread?

I don't think it's unreasonable to do a 2-week trial. I find that my joints hurt more the more grain I have. (Ditto nightshades, come to that.)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 17:03:28 pm »
I'd DEFINITELY do a two week trial. No whole wheat pasta, breads, etc. Brown rice may or may not be ok but may best to avoid it for two weeks too and then add that back in before the whole meal flour items? And eventually you may be able to slowly transition him to whole wheat, etc by slowly adding it in (like 3/4 white, 1/4 whole wheat, etc) but I'd definitely hold off for now.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline babybarr

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 18:54:43 pm »
Karen what about breakfast cereals?  I mean you read about all these creals with "wholegrain goodness" I'm assuming I need to avoid those too?

I've been avoiding the brown flour and all brown pasta, bread etc just suddenly thought there may be other "hidden" things I'm missing?  Like he also has a "multigrain" porridge - would that be a no go?
LAURA xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 19:01:41 pm »
I'd do NO multigrain products for now. Does he eat much breakfast cereal? If so maybe just like corn flakes or rice krispies for now? I think you'll get a much better sense of what's going on if you give it a full/true test for at least two weeks...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline babybarr

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 19:03:14 pm »
I bought some cornflakes for him just on Friday cos I thought I'd better!  He *loves* them cos they're orange ::) his favourite colour!

I'll have to make sure DH is drilled then, he does bfast! 
LAURA xx