Author Topic: Changes to poo on solids  (Read 1391 times)

Offline toppette

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Changes to poo on solids
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:00 am »
Hi Ladies,

I hope i am putting this in the right forum.  My 6 month old started solids a couple of weeks ago.  And it seems coincidentally since she has started solids, she has started pooing very frequently TINY amounts.  Like a 20c piece size.  Every time I open her nappy, there is this tiny little poo.  It's fairly firm, i.e it's not runny.  Is she constipated?

She is eating a musli cereal with banana & pear for breakfast (Farex), sweet potato and rice cereal for lunch/dinner or pumpkin. 

She is breastfed, and I'm trying to get her to take some formula but I only manage to get her to have about 20-30ml at dinner time.

She still feeds once at night too which drives me crazy since DD1 didn't need night feeds after 5 months of age.

Any thoughts?

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Changes to poo on solids
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:27 am »
banana and rice can both be constipating. Are you offering water along with meals?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:42:10 am »
Does she seem to be straining to go?  It is normal for frequency and consistency of BMs to change, but if she is straining or the poop looks like little pellets, then she could be constipated.  I would back off on the banana, rice and cereal, and stick to fruits and veg for now.  You can try offering a bit of water as well.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline toppette

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 22:57:25 pm »
The banana is flavouring pre-made in the cereal, I haven't been giving her "real" bananas (at the moment here they are $13/kg so no one is eating them lol!).  She doesn't appear to be straining any more than usual when she poos, she's always spent a good deal of time slowly pushing her poos out even just on breast milk.  Her poos now are like playdough I guess.

I have tried giving her a bit of water, but since I'm training her on the sippy cup, it's slow going atm.

I'll change one of her meals to fruit then and see how she goes.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 23:02:43 pm »
It could just be her body adjusting to the solids.  Keep an eye on it and assess as necessary.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline toppette

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:09 am »
Just a follow up, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Frequency of the poos has decreased a bit, but they are still as "firm" as ever.  Doesn't appear to be bothering her.  Dr said if she is ok, i.e. not crying or uncomfortable, not to worry.  Some kids are just like that.

That said .. it's funny how different the kids are.  At the same age, DD1 was eating whole bananas for breakfast and was still doing mushy poos.  Now my girl's cousin is apparently the same as DD2, poos frequenly and firmly.  So it's amazing how everyone's body processes things differently!

(On the plus side of all this, whilst there can be several poos a day to clean up, they are not messy in the least!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 18:13:57 pm »
Hi, Olly found rice, banana and sweet potato constipating! I took them all out of his diet in the end. Maybe try a few differnt things for a while as her system adjusts to digesting solids?