Author Topic: How much is normal??  (Read 1673 times)

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 20, 2011, 14:30:50 pm »
Hi everyone,
My DD is 29 weeks old. When she turned 6 months I started with solids. We didnt have a great start as she was not eager to start. Around two weeks after she started eating more than just a small spoon. The I started with fruits, she maybe took around 5 tsp.
As well, I started with formula, as I will go back to work and she really needs to start with the bottle. And as well hopefully she will start sleeping longer. For the moment she is drinking 2 bottles and drinking between 120 and 150 ml. She doesnt want more.
My question is, How many spoons is normal? And hte level of milk is it normal??
Thanks a lot

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: How much is normal??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 17:54:23 pm »
She should be taking a minimum of 20 ozs per day, though many doctors like to keep it at 24 ozs per day.  You will have to back off on the solids to up her formula intake if need be.

Solids are only to learn at this point so bottles come first... solids always after... any amount of solids is fine.

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 18:08:53 pm »
Hi Kara,
Thanks for your advice.
For the milk intake, I offer before solids but it seems that sometimes it is to much for her. I even see her belly really full.
I really hope she will drink more!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 21:39:49 pm »
When first starting out, bottle first, then wait at least an hour before solids otherwise baby will be too full to even really try ;)  As I said, cut the solids back if she isn't taking the minimum amount of formula.  How often are you offering solids?  I would limit it to once a day for the first month or so, then move to twice and day with the goal of three times by 8-9 months at the earliest ;) 

For comparison, my DD only took about 1-2 tbsp for the first month with solids only in the morning; she started solids at 5 months.  I added lunch in around 6 months and just added a dinner offering at 7 1/2 months.  She only takes about 50 mls of solids each time...

You can change to solids first around 10 months. 

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:34:31 am »
Hi Kara,
For two weeks I offered veggies and it has been one week that I started fruits around 3.30.
I gave solids right after milk, but then I will wait. Do I wait one hour after she finished her milk? Or do I start counting when she started eating?
She takes around 30 to 40 min for her bottle abd she only takes 160 ml!!!! First I gave some then she stops for a little bit and then again she drinks.
She is a happy baby and she smiles the whole day, so it doesnt seem that she would be hungry.
I really thought it was going to be as my DS, he ate evrything and drank everything.
Not everyone is the same, so of course she will be different than her brother.
Thanks

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 15:45:16 pm »
wow, that is a long time to eat a bottle!  Feeds should be done within 20 minutes...

I wonder if she would eat a bit of solids in the middle when she takes a small break anyways?  I wouldn't offer much more than a tbsp/15 mls at a time right now just to get her milk up!

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 15:59:28 pm »
Hi Kara,

Im really trying for her to get more milk. Today I tried using another faster teat if I could say, and she took less time, but at the end she took the same amount of milk.

Today I offered some spinach and she hated it. In the afternoon she had half of a small banana.

Will see, hope she drinks more.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 22:27:41 pm »
That's a big piece of banana... I would offer her more like 2 inches or ~ 5cms at the most in one sitting - after a bottle. If she doesn't take the bottle,  no solids.

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »
Ok I will go for a smaller portion hahaha.
This morning she took 210 ml of milk. I was quite happy. Then at 11.00 she only took 90ml! 1.30 hr I offered puree and she took 3tsp.
How much milk should I offer at 3pm? If she takes for example 150ml do I offer fruit?? Which would be the minimum of milk everytime, in order for me to offer puree?

In the meantime I bought a new bottle to see if she likes it better.

Sorry for all my questions, but this is all new! My DS 1 used to drink and eat everything.

Thanks again

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 14:51:43 pm »
No worries!  Did you offer solids after that first bottle?  If so, you could wait longer than 4 hours from last bottle to try again... my DD will actually take a 6 oz bottle, then a small breakfast an hour later (around 8am) then not eat anything until closer to noon.

You want her to get at least 20 oz of milk each day so fit solids in around that.

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:01:49 am »
Hi Kara,
Changing the bottle, I think worked well. I will continue offering solids as you say.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 17:04:48 pm »
Awesome!!!  Don't you just wish that they could talk and let you know - Hey Mom, I don't like this bottle!  Have another kind?

Offline monica lechuga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 06:17:25 am »
I would love that!!!!!! But I still have to wait a bit for it to happen!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 17:44:33 pm »
Me too ;)