Author Topic: Soy trial - how soon do we know?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Soy trial - how soon do we know?
« on: July 20, 2011, 19:35:31 pm »
 So we have been dairy/soy free for 8 weeks. Eczema all gone, nappy rash gone and sleeping awesome 12 hour nights (even had a couple of 13 hour!!  ;D ) and great naps.

After speaking with the dietician today she said we should maybe think about intro'ing soy. She hates the neocate and isn't at all fond of oat milk or the coconut one. So we were hoping that we could get her on soy formula as it's way more palatable. ( she's only averaging about 10oz formula a day)

So, gave her a soy yoghurt today which she loved but tonight will not settle to sleep. It's the leg crunching and general feeling that she is just uncomfortable in her skin yk?

Would it be bothering her this quickly? She's not napped terribly well today but has settled better on far less so I dont think it's just the OT nonsense she sometimes gets up to.

ETA - She is still up there crying away (DH is there!) with snot pouring from her nose.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 19:57:06 pm by ~Emma~ »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Soy trial - how soon do we know?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 20:41:41 pm »
Hi Emma,

Firstly, I am pleased that she has settled down for you. Guess it shows that it was the milk/spy after all.

Secondly, you have 2 options really IMHO. Persevere with the soy trial and see what happens. Tonight could be unrelated, if she is OK for the next 3 or 4 nights then you know it isn't the soy. Or stop the soy and wait until she is better then try again. This is the option I always took as I didn't have the nerve to continue but it takes SOOO long. If you keep going then you may get results quicker but might have a rough ride with it too.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:37:46 am »
I agree with previous post. We also always stopped the food being trialed and waited for things to settle again and then started the trial again. It can take a while this way though but I did not feel comfortable persevering when it appeared to be making my ds miserable.

Good luck, and only you can really know what is the best way to go for you and your dd.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:57:29 am »
I agree with PP, anytime Caleb has a gut reaction to anything its that night and its wind/pain etc so I stop it immediately and wait.
Can you offer her rice milk? thats what Caleb drinks

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:44:57 am »
Over here it says rice milk isn't suitable for under 4yo...  :-\

Emma have you tried mixing neocate and oat milk? DD2 was on nutramigen and I gradually mixed in more oat milk and now she's on that (and bf) Worth a try? I personally wasn't keen on the soy milk route...

Hope she settled and slept ok for you :-*

xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:57:38 am »
 I ended up giving her calpol after 9pm and then she settled. EW though and this kid has not been an EWer. Mmmmmmm. Not sure what to make of it really, could have been teeth (although showing no signs) but could have soy. I am going to continue for 3 days, if her skin flares or we get awful nappies then that'll be the answer I suppose.  :-\

Jo - over here we dont give rice milk as it has a high arsenic content so not supposed to give to bubs under 4 as Charli says.

I only use oatmilk for her cereal in the morning but she will just have dry cheerios with fruit. It's not for a drink really. I use it in cooking though and she doesn't mind it then.

Its just so hard to know what was bothering her and i am tenterhooks incase it's the soy. Last night gave me a flashback to what it used to be like, just a small snippet but I didn't like it one bit! 

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:06 am »
Jo - over here we dont give rice milk as it has a high arsenic content so not supposed to give to bubs under 4 as Charli says.

What!?? Really? I've been drinking Rice Dream in Canada in great quantities for a long time now. We've started giving it to my DS2 who is MSPI++ mixed with a coconut milk beverage (ie. pasturized in a fresh 'milk' carton, not the canned stuff for cooking) for the added fat. So far, so good and I've moved on to using it in cooking.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:02 am »
http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2009/may/arsenicinriceresearch

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/birthtofive/Pages/Drinksandcups.aspx

A couple of link explaining why rice milk is not to be given to kids under 5.  :) HTH.  :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:55:13 am »
How did last night go Emma?

Kelly x

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:13 am »
Apart from the no napping malarkey yesterday and then an EW today absolutely fine.  ;D

I have only been giving her one soy yoghurt a day but I am going to start giving her soy milk with her cereal now too I think from tomorrow. But will keep a close eye on her.

She's having routine issues atm so its really hard to see whats what but I know that it will most likely manifest in nights going bad if its upsetting her so I know pretty much what to look for.

Thanks for asking Kelly.  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:32 am »
Hi, so far so good then.  ;D Well done you for continuing with it! I think the fact that Calpol helped contributes to the fact it was not a food reaction. Pain meds never helped here with NWs due to food.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:57:18 am »
think the fact that Calpol helped contributes to the fact it was not a food reaction. Pain meds never helped here with NWs due to food.

I agree. it never helped in the past when she was waking up uncomfortable so hopefully can just put that down to teeth moving about or something.

:-*

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 18:47:39 pm »
So glad it seems to be going well :). Good luck with the soy milk in her cereal.

Kelly x

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:13:23 am »
 Multiple looooooooooooooooong NW last night (the 1st since stopping dairy/soy) and meds didn't help.

I really dont know what to think anymore. Is it as reaction? What do I do now? I cant call anyone about it because its the weekend so do I just stop the soy or continue through the weekend regardless?

Grrrrrrrrr. This is so hard to nkow whats up.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:40:17 am »
If personally would stop the trial and wait for your dd's sleep to get back to nnormal. i would then trial soy again, if the same thing happens then it is more than likely the soy causing the issue. If your dd is ok when you reintroduce the soy you will know that the soy was not causing the multiple night wakings. This is just my view on things though as this is the way I did things with my ds when trying to figure things out. I know everybody does things differently and it is what feels right for you and your dd.

Kelly x