Author Topic: 6 mo old excited to eat! but .. wont  (Read 1215 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: July 23, 2011, 15:07:17 pm »
This is a new experience for me, as my son was always an excellent eater and would eat anything I put in front of him from 6 months on.  I knew we were lucky!!

Now, with DD.  She seems so eager. She watches me eat.. follows my hand to my mouth, even chews with me.  She's 6 months, we have her sit at the table with us for all meals. she has her spoon to hold and play with... so I started to give her bites.  The first week she was really into it. I gave her food from my plate, just a few bites.

now I sit her down with DS for breakfast, he is eating his oatmeal, I fix her rice and a fruit compote and she wants nothing to do with it.  This has gone on for several days. I have made baby rice cereal, cream of rice and also rice that i have ground myself.  She liked it last week when it was off my plate  but not her own plate!  So I didn't force her to eat it.. but as I ate my toast.. again she is watching me and chewing with me. So I offer her another bite of rice and she refuses!  Oh and.. last week I offered her oatmeal and she hated it in all shapes. I know she likes rice.

I dont know what to do.  Should I just go ahead and give her bites of my food?  Skip the baby rice?  I have always made our own baby food, and last week she seemed to enjoy green bean and broccoli bits from my plate as well as potato and chicken, rice and ground beef.  I was getting nervous about giving her such advanced foods.  This morning I was having toast, I could give her a few tiny bites. 

How to proceed?
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: 6 mo old excited to eat! but .. wont
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:02:41 am »
have you read about baby lead weaning (BLW)? There's a lot of info on this site and a support thread for it. It sounds like your LO might really take to it.

My daughter never would eat the rice cereal either, but she didn't eat much of anything til after she turned 1 and she certainly never watched me and chewed with me!! :)

Megan

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:29 am »

Megan

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:01:19 am »
thanks!  tonight at dinner she really wanted my food! so i let her have some potato.. she put it in her fist and tried to get it to her mouth. she was sittin gon my lap (we were at a restaurant) and she would finish her fist full and look up at me with an open mouth.. "ahhhhh!"  So I know she wants food!!!

I looked at BLW in the past but I wasn't sure I was totally following it.  But now looks like my LO is teaching me a new thing!
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 15:10:59 pm »
you don't have to follow it to the letter... just do whatever works for you and your LO. Good luck with it and have fun!!

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 00:58:44 am »
Yep, I'd look into BLW.  Sounds like she wants to do her own thing!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012