Author Topic: Puree coming out the other end in chunks??????  (Read 1072 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Puree coming out the other end in chunks??????
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:09:29 am »
Yesterday I gave my 6 mo 1 oz of sweet potato puree midmorning, and 2oz midafternoon. It was jarred, so I know it didn't have any chunks in it. Today he had chickpea-size CHUNKS of something in his diaper that was the same color as the sweet potato and was very smooth in texture and you could mash it like a chickpea, only smoother. There were probably 10 to 15 chunks and they were mixed in and coated with his normal color and consistency poo (sorry if that's gross).

The only thing I can think is that his body sucked all the water out of the puree and didn't or couldn't digest the rest of the sweet potato so it came out in pellets. Has anyone ever heard of something like this????

Megan

tigerlilly905

Re: Puree coming out the other end in chunks??????
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:06:22 am »
oh Megan, I had to laugh when I read the title of this post! Cute..

Anyways, how bizzar. I'm not sure what to suggest. I think it could just be his body adjusting to solids.  Poo can take on many forms once solids are introduced.  Are you offering a little "drink" after/with solids. Maybe just some expressed BM in a cup, or a little nursing to top up? Just to make sure his little belly is well lubricated in digesting the solids?

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:58:02 am »
Both answers together sound logical to me.   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:08 am »
Or maybe it is chunks of food from a previous meal that has been sitting around? I wouldn't worry unless you see blood, profuse mucus or stringy mucus  :)

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 14:25:49 pm »
Thanks :) It's definitely not from another meal. He had rice cereal the day before that and other than that, he hasn't really had anything. I guess I'm just worried that he's not able to digest food properly and maybe that's part of why he's been so miserable the past 6months. Maybe there's something wrong with his gut, kwim? I'll probably call the doctor Monday just to see what he says, and then just keep an eye on it I guess.

Megan