Author Topic: 8 week old - really struggling with naps.  (Read 6471 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
8 week old - really struggling with naps.
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:16 am »
Uggh, pesky naps. DS was a nightmare napper until he went to one nap and I just cannot go through 18 months of this again.
Please please can someone hold my hand and see if we can crack this or at least move forward.

DD is nearly 8 weeks. I aim for naps in her cot if we are at home but she often ends up in the sling as DS is spirited and I just cannot leave him for too long before he causes mischief.
She has a dark room with white noise and a swaddle. I did the BW quiz and she seems to be textbook/spirited. Her night sleep is good atm - goes down about 8pm ish and wakes around 1/2am and then around 5.30am although last night she did 8-3.15am  :o  and all after a very OT afternoon too.

I know I must be missing sleep windows as about a week ago she was sometimes drifting off to sleep by herself but now everything seems a fight and we just cannot be in her room constantly - it is really draining mentally when there is another lo around to be constantly obsessing over her naps.

So this am looked like this...
A - 6.45am - this is when i went to her but not sure how long she had been awake
E - 6.45 - 5oz
S - tried at about 7.40am but she seemed wide awake although had seemed sleepy after feeding so maybe was thinking of this as night sleep still?
DH tried again and managed to get her down about 8.40am and she then woke at 9am and he tried to resettle and is still there at 9.25am.

Seriously - it cannot be this hard can it...

Does anyone have a lo a similar age with a routine that is working? Or any advice about A times?

Thanks

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 8 week old - really struggling with naps.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:43 am »
Becky, James always is sleepy after feeding.  It doesn't matter how well rested he is, his eyes always close when he's eating.  I've started to discover that he really needs more A time than I thought he did - now, for my part I'm having a really hard time pushing him through that initial tiredness, but I think that's our key right now and might be for you with those super short naps. 

We also do naps out and about at least once a day, sometimes more - I agree that you have to get out and about with more than one.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 14:51:54 pm »
this is today so far...do you think we are on the right track? Any ideas whether this looks like too much/little A time...
E - 8am (after a great night - 8pm-4am (5oz feed) then S until woken at 8am)
A - 8-9.15am - yawned at 8.40am then got fussy/crying
S - 9.15-10.15am - needed dummy to relax and side rubbing. pretty fussy on wake up but held/walked about until E
E - 11am
A - 10.15-11.15am
S - 11.15-1.45/50pm - went down independently
E - 2pm
A - 1.45/50 - 2.50
S - 2.50 - sleeping now at 3.48 and went down awake and independently.

I am pretty sure she was OT for the first nap as she was really crying by the time I put her down. Can she really be tired after 40 mins A time in the am?

how does this look - any advice? Does this amount of sleep look ok? Not sure what we are aiming for in the day?

thanks

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 17:30:55 pm »
Here's the weird thing - James was doing that crying after 45 minutes of A time in the morning too - and I finally started trying to push him through it and today he went down perfectly for his first nap (which seems to make no sense, but worked for us) - so with that long and independent nap you got with that second A time, it almost seems like you need more in the morning.  You'll just have to figure out what will hold her - for us, it seems to be (because I'm working on this too) walking him around and/or going outside.

Offline Ali79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 17:40:44 pm »
Just read this and sounds really similar to what I've just started going through. My first born is just over a month old and the last few days has started really fussing before going down for naps. She's always been fussy about going down in the evening, but it now seems to be for every nap. I thought I was catching her sleep windows- one or two big yawns then into her moses basket, but she's not gone to sleep independently the whole of today- needed suckling/holding/white noise or combination of those things for each sleep. am i doing something wrong?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 00:06:49 am »
It does sound like he's waking up a bit from her newborn sleepiness.  At her age, your A times may actually be too long.  Start a thread and post your EASY so people can see what needs tweaking!

Offline Ali79

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 19:18:47 pm »
Hmmm that may be where I'm going wrong. Keeping the EASY in my head... really must write it down. Ok, I'll post today's as I can remember it and then let's take it from there:
NF at 1.30 and 5.10
Woke at 6.50 but not interested in food.
A 6.50-7.55 when daddy put her back to bed as she did two big yawns (I was asleep!)
S 7.55-9.10
E 9.10-9.45
A 9.45-10.30 but included more E as she decided she was still hungry (stuffing fist in mouth...)
S 10.30-12
E 12-12.30
A 12.30-1 then lots of big yawns so I tried to get her down but took forever to settle, eventually went to sleep at 1.45 after lots of crying.
S 1.45- 3 (but on and off as we were out in the pram)
Not hungry, still tired but wouldn't sleep so looked around a bit and then
S 3.30-4 in my arms as cried in pram.
E4-4.30
A 4.30-5.30 (lying in pram whilst I went to supermarket)
E 5.30-6
S 6- ? (usually I'd do a bath but I can't get my left hand wet this week as have injured it)
She went down pretty well this evening and usually sleeps through until between 10 and 10.30. Then as she's stirring I give her another feed. She wakes once or twice during the night for food, and goes back down easily. It's just the day time I'm struggling with.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:49:45 am »
Your E counts as part of your A (and really is all that there is at this point!) so it may be that you have too much A time and your LO is getting overtired.

Offline Ali79

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42:05 am »
Yep, I definitely think that's at least part of what's going on. She's also remembering she's hungry about an hour after eating, even though I try everything to ensure she's had enough the first time....grrr...
Out of interest, on what sort of trajectory does A time increase as they get older?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 13:57:22 pm »
With mine, I've always found they do leaps here and there - the 3-6 month time period has lots of big leaps - lots of nap dropping and nap switching around going on there (fun, fun!) and around a year when they drop to one nap (well, my first two did around a year, other babies seem to keep that second nap around for a bit longer.  Here's a good thread that gives some sample schedules so you can see - there is, of course, lots of variation in there!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164253.0

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:05 am »
we are still really really struggling with the first A of the day. I have tried 45 mins, 55 mins and 1 hour and it takes ages to settle her and then she wakes after 40-50 mins. Any suggestions? I know the A time for her age is 1-1.20 and I think she is nearer to 1 hour. I go by cues but it does not seem to work!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:11 am »
it just seems to get harder every day. So today tried after 1 hour when she started to fuss and it took DH 20 mins to get her down, awake after 15 mins and now trying to re settle. How can it be this hard?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 16:26:12 pm »
if anyone sees this today has been awful. Not one decent length nap and DH and I are shattered from constantly walking her in the carrier.
A - 6.50am
E - 7am
S  - tried from 7.55am but a no-go so took her in the sling from 9.30-10am

E - 10am
S - 10.20 - asleep by 10.30am - awake 10.45am - sling again from 10.55-12pm

E - 1pm
S - 1.25-2.15pm - resettled 2.25 - 3.15pm - then in sling until 4pm

E - 4pm
S - did not even bother for bed nap so dh has her in the sling

I should say nights are good. Feeds twice, resettles quickly.

Where are we going so wrong?

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 17:14:29 pm »
huge hugs Becky,

Both of mine were consistent 45 min nappers till 4 mths, then a switch clicked and they were fine from then on. Oscar even did those wonderful 3 hr naps and 12 hr nights from 12 to 18 mths ish!!! And from 4 mths, 2 x2 hr naps were the norm in this house, I promise.

I think little Martha is very OTd but somehow coping with the nights (my two were the same, as has been for instance ~Emma~'s DD early on and probably lots of others - its one of those spirited signs I think). What happened btw 7,55 and 9,30 before she dropped off? Probably you were trying to sort yourself and DS...I remember those days so well and was so intent on getting that first nap good so as to get myself washed and dressed, DS sorted etc so we could get out the door after the 10am feed....ugh, remember the pressure on that first nap so well.

Anyway, I think the answer is with the first nap - if you can do any APOP to get her off and off for even a 45 min nap but without OTd then the day will probably go better.

Q is , what APOP can you do that she will settle for?

Gripewater on dummy, tight swaddle, radio on between stations and blackout blinds would be my first try....that was my routine at home.
Rocking in the carseat and then plonking carseat in the cot in same dark room, blackouts, radio on btw stations....rinse, repeat if that failed (E was a windy baby though she never really "complained" but would eat the 7am feed so so fast after also very, very good nights that it did upset her tummy till around 12 weeks so the carseat helped with this.
I live in an apartment and so don't have a garden but I would go to our underground carpark (for the dark LOL - we have a nice estate but any light would distract my kids with naptime) with a blanket over the hood of pram and walk shushing till they slept and then bring back to our balcony. This was more something I used for the 11am ish nap with Emma but with OScar from birth as it was only me to get dressed back then (those were the days).

I really think you may have to "ride out" this developmental phase of short naps but I do think you are "entitled to" and should be able to manage one (or even two) longer ones but the OTd from first is causing your day to go asunder from the get-go.

So find her APOP key that suits you if you can - try things that will fit in with being at home for that first nap and that you can do on the rainy days as well...and some of it doesn;t really have to be APOP, just lots of help - swaddle, white noise etc.

And while your DH is still around (is he a teacher off for the summer? did I hear that somewhere?) have him maybe take H out as early as poss so you can get nap no1 sorted....if possible.

Huge hugs and HTH xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 17:20:15 pm »
It took me a long time to get the first a time right with dd, in the end I used to put her in the pram about 45mins after she woke up and go for a walk! Then she would fall asleep.  Aimed for one nap a day in the cot and the rest in the sling. She HATED her car seat and cried and cried and cried...still does!
Again once we got to the 4 month mark it did get better I promise :)