Author Topic: Elecare and maple syrup  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Elecare and maple syrup
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:25 am »
Hey guys,
Just wondering how much maple syrup to try with DDs 180 ml bottle of elecare...she is exclusively breastfed and has mspi..she won't take the elecare I think because of the bad taste and smell. She will take a bottle of ebm.  Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks xx

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Elecare and maple syrup
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 16:16:19 pm »
I am not sure how much you would put in to be honest. It is probably something you would have to experiment with. You would also have to see if the maple syrup mixes well into the elecare.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 16:20:02 pm »
Can you add it to a bottle of EBM little by little to get her used to the taste?

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:03:35 am »
I've tried mixing it with EBM, maybe I'll keep trying that first before trying maple syrup.
It's just such a mission trying to get her to take it.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:19:33 am »
my paed told me to try these amounts for flavouring neocate, i'm assuming around the same would work with elecare. 2 teaspoons of pure icing sugar per bottle or 1 tsp maple syrup or 2/3 drops of pure vanilla extract (the syrupy consistency one).

i'd try mixing with ebm first and gradually decreasing the amounts as i always wondered how my LO would go once i took the flavouring out. but if that doesnt work then try the flavouring, you can try more than the above recommended and gradually decrease it too. good luck :-*

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:42 am »
dont suppose she has dreamfeed at all?

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:00 am »
Yeah I dream feed her usually four hrs after BT feed...thanks for advice on amounts for flavoring the formula...will try again tomoz...

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:50 am »
I used the maple syrup. I used a loooooooot ::) But it worked and she was on the Nutramigen in 3 days. I really hope the same for you. If she goes quick like that, then I highly recommend weaning the syrup quickly. I was advised of that and it worked like a charm. Neocate can also send you some flavouring packets but we didn't get ours in time. If you want to pm me your address I can send them to you, but with us just getting over our mail strike and the backlog, it's likely you won't get them for upwards of a month. But still there if you'd like them :) You can call them (I'm sure they have a number in Australia) and they will express ship them to you within a week to trial them for free. They were amazing to speak with on the phone. Hope this all works for you :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:35 am »
Yeah I dream feed her usually four hrs after BT feed...thanks for advice on amounts for flavoring the formula...will try again tomoz...
if you still have no luck with the flavouring then you could try doing a bottle for the df and work on a subconscious acceptance of the flavouring IYSWIM. this is what i did with my LO before trying any during the day and it worked a treat. he was quite young tho, 4mths old when i started this. how old is your LO? any success?

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:48:51 am »
Ok cool I never thought of trying it during dream feed...today I tried again with BM but she was having none of it.  Might try flavoring, then if that doesn't work, attempt the DF.  I've never given her a bottle for the DF, but am willing to try anything...
Feel like I will b breastfeeding her forever otherwise, which I don't mind, just really difficult with this mspi diet, and she still has mucous in her poop.
Thanks for all you advice xx