Author Topic: 6mo LO, water in a sippy cup and lots of mess  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Zefyra

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6mo LO, water in a sippy cup and lots of mess
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:08:58 am »
this may sound trivial or ridiculous but I'm having a bit of trouble with teaching LO to take water from a sippy cup.  The HV recommended taking out the non spill filter, which makes so much mess, but LO is eager to hold onto it even though she hasn't got the hang of it and barely takes any water.

Any advice? or recommendations on which cup? Im currently using the Vital baby's first tumbler, which i chose for its small size which LO can grasp easier than the bigger ones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vital-Baby-Babys-First-Tumbler/dp/B003YUC18M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
LO is 5.5mths

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: 6mo LO, water in a sippy cup and lots of mess
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:17:56 am »
Hi hun :) Tbh mess with the sippy is to be expected :P It's great that you're trying her with one early, and 5.5mo is a great age to just let her play with it. Is she on solids yet? Really at 5.5mo they don't "need" water per se (tap water from 6mo is ok btw)
I wouldn't worry about her not taking much water from it, just letting her play and experiment with it is great :) Maybe only put a tiny bit of water in? I used the Tommy Tippee suitable from 4mo with both my girls.
x
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:20 am »
 We have personally only ever used the tommee tippe very basic ones. DS had a soft spout for a while but just chewed it to shreds!

I wouldn't worry about her taking a while to get the hang of it. DS was probably 11 months before he was fully able to use a sippy, DD gets offered one and at 10 months is doing ok with it but nowhere near good at it. Mess. mess, mess!

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:00 am »
wow! i don't mind the water-mess so much as it's only water, but since we're going to Houston and Florida next month it's giong to be hot hot hot so I wanted her to get used to the cup instead of water in a bottle (1month training is a dream right??!!)

I only decided against the tommee tippee as she hated the bottles (teats too big).  I've stuck to the medela ones which have very small teats, and not sure what to try as she is ebf.

I've started her on banana and pear purees once a day (she's lapping it up) but nothing else yet...

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:13 am »
I used the tommee tippee first cup for both of mine. It is long lasting as you can use it with the lid off too when they learn to drink from an open cup.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&productId=80977&source=froogle&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shopping%20Sites-_-CPC-_-Froogle

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:55:32 am »
We use the Tommy Tippee ones too. DS took MONTHS to get the hang of it, I never thought he was going to do it but once he got there he was fine.
Catherine x

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 13:31:33 pm »
right, been out to get a tommee tippee one (cheap as chips compared to the others!), I'll see how it goes!!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 13:34:30 pm »
cheap as chips compared to the others
Yep!  :D  We bought a fancy one and DS wouldn't go near it.....it's now used as a toy in the bath  ::)
Catherine x

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 13:40:07 pm »
LOL!!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 13:58:37 pm »
You could give her the cup with a little water in the bathtub to practice.... that takes care of the mess!
Katie

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 16:00:55 pm »
That's such a great idea!!!I met with another mum today who is also using the tommee tippee cup and since he's at nursery he gets a lot of practise-and he's only just 6mths and got the hang of it so I guess practise makes perfect!thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:41:42 am »
I gave him the basic TT ones too.  They range from about £1.40 each here but I found some once for £1 bargain!  I just put the water out in a cup and leave it up to him to get it (I still offer occasionally and with meals and keep changing the cup throughout the day).  Since I started that and he's been mobile, it's been so much easier.  I mean you get water everywhere but it's only water. 

At 6 months they'll still be getting most of their water from milk so it's about getting the idea.  Don't be tempted to put juice in the cup.  I'm sure this is how loads of parents start with that.  It might encourage them to drink but for one it makes lots of mess when they do spill it and secondly it gets them used to drinking juice not water which is worse for their teeth.

He's just crawled over, picked up the cup and had a few good swigs!  Must have known I was talking about him!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:46:35 am »
thank you all for your advice-you were absolutely right! the tommee tippy cup did the trick-two weeks after my post she was drinking happily from the cup (just a sip or two then bubbles!), but it works ! thanks a million!!! weaning is another story...