Author Topic: When to reintroduce dairy/soy  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When to reintroduce dairy/soy
« on: July 27, 2011, 16:35:47 pm »
Hi all,
My DS is dairy/soy intolerant and is almost 8 months. I am wondering when to try dairy/soy again to see if he is still reacting? Do I try this through my diet first and then try giving him something like yogurt? I am not in a rush but just curious about how to do this once we are ready.
Katie

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: When to reintroduce dairy/soy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 18:07:32 pm »
just following on - I have been dairy free almost since Oliver was born - a few weeks ago I reintroduced it (b/feeding - he isn't on solids yet) and he started getting mucousy again and not sleeping as well at night, wakening for an extra feed .... looking forward to seeing what people suggest.

I really hope when your trial starts that it goes well.  Murray recently re-started dairy and seems fine :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 20:02:25 pm »
When Dylan had his first reaction the paed in the ER told us to stay dairy free for a minimum of 1 year and to consult our family doctor before reintroduction. Ours is a frank allergic reaction though, so not sure if that makes a difference.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 20:34:52 pm »
Vikki - What is a frank allergic reaction?
Katie

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 22:08:00 pm »
Sorry - Dylan's reaction is hives and swelling, so an actual contact allergy (with reactions on skin and blood tests) vs. an intolerance which often doesn't test positive even though the substance causes symptoms.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 14:00:47 pm »
Thanks Vikki!

Anyone else have experience with introducing dairy/soy back into diet... when to try it? Or start with LO's diet? My pediatrician is great but really isn't very helpful with the MSPI stuff.

Thanks!
Katie

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 16:08:41 pm »
we were told to start off with foods that contain bits of dairy, like biscuits, etc then a spoonful of yogurt (we were quite confident he was okay with it as had had before), then cheese, etc. We were advised to go slowly, and stop if there seemed any reactions,etc.  Our paed referred us to a dietician who was the one that took us through the dairy free trial, etc
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 00:58:26 am »
Thank you Lucy!
Katie

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:00:56 am »
Lucy, at what age did you start that introduction?
*Kate*

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:12:11 am »
Lucy, at what age did you start that introduction?
We only started a complete dairy free diet after Murray was 2.  The last dietician appointment was a few months ago (the dietician gave us a bit long on dairy free with Oliver coming on the scene!) and that was when we re-started dairy (so he was almost 2.5 years, having been dairy free for  months or so).  By chance,this is the age where LOs often grow out of food problems - he also used to react to strawberries and can eat them now, without any reaction. :)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:55 am »
Just a quick question guys, my DD is 6months and has suspected mspi, I have been dairy and soy free for about three months, when starting the diet her irritability improved immensely but the mucous poops have remained, just wanted to know if when u were/are bf and on the dairy soy free diet, did the mucous clear up completely or is there still some...not sure if I'm dealing with just dairy/and or soy and/or something else?
I haven't really had the guts to trial dairy since starting the diet three months ago.
Charly xx

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 14:13:24 pm »
Charly - I struggled with mucus poos for a while as well. My DS had blood in his stool so once that went away the mucus stuck around until we started solids. Now we are battling constipation so I haven't seen mucus in awhile. I think the mucus can take awhile to go away. I am nervous to trial dairy/soy again as well. I don't want to rock the boat!
Katie

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:31 am »
Well I hv decided to take wheat out of my diet to see if that is causing the mucous...I am on day three of no gluten and no wheat as well as no soy and dairy...am so hungry!! DD poops have been a little less mucous today actually not sure if it's just a coincidence though, will keep doing the no gluten and no wheat for another two weeks to see if it gets any better still...it's just so hard tracking down what it is hey...have been going pretty slow with the solids, at moment just got her on carrot, pear, apple, sweet potato and pumpkin...tried steamed broccoli as finger food today but she wasn't too impressed.
I think I'll see if the poops do get better with no gluten/wheat, if they do I might try and  reintroduce soy....

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:52:14 am »
charlygirl - that must be tough :(

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 17:25:24 pm »
Charly - I was gluten free for awhile as well and it is hard. In the states, I found a great brand that makes muffins, granola, breads, etc. It is called Udi's and they are gluten, dairy, soy, nut free. Maybe you can find it there? I hope she feels better soon!
Katie