Author Topic: OT + long naps  (Read 1836 times)

Offline story3girl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 26, 2011, 20:15:54 pm »
We've had some rough nights because of teething and an OT loop and it's causing wacky days.
LO is 10 months old.

Today looked like this:

(Last night:  BT 8... Finally asleep 9:30.  3 night wakings)

Wake 5:50  Tried to resettle.  Fail.
BF 6:30
sleep (in high chair!!) 8
(Moved to crib)
Awake 8:30 (crying, OT)
Breakfast 8:30
BF 11:00
Lunch 12
Started nap routine at 12:30
Sleep 1:30
Resettled 2:15

I woke her at 4 for BF and because I didn't want nap to get too late.  I hate to cap her naps when she's so OT, but it takes her so long to fall asleep that it's pushing bedtime.

So frustrating.

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: OT + long naps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:24:17 am »
Hugs.  What does her usual day look like?  I prob would have done similar tbh.  How did she get on last night?  Just be aware of letting her sleep too much in day will lead to her catching up on that missed night sleep.  Hopefully she had a better night last night and you can start getting things back on track.  Maybe try a shorter morning nap with a longer afternoon nap? 

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
The last time she had a "good" day it looked more like

Wake, BF 6:30
Breakfast 8
Nap 10-11
BF 11
Lunch 12
Nap 2:30-4
BF 4
Dinner 5
Sleep 8
With one NF around 12

Still a really long day, but it seemed to mostly work for us.  Do you think she should be decreasing her naps more by this age?  Bedtime seems to get pushed further back because she's UT after the last A time.

Last night was a little better (asleep by 9, with only 2 NW at 12 and 4, EW at 5:30 again).  She didn't wake up cranky at least, so I'm going to try to hold her off a little longer - that 8 AM nap KILLS my day.

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 14:26:48 pm »
Well she made it all the way to 8:30, lol.  I'm gonna try an earlier lunch/earlier dinner and HOPEFULLY that will help with earlier PM nap and BT.  I was trying to keep mealtimes fixed to get her clock set, but I think I just need to get her to sleep right now and then gradually work back to the "right" times.

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 14:39:50 pm »
Aaaand, now she's asleep again at 10:30.  Maybe I'll wake her at 11 and try to salvage a "normal" day.

Offline Smurfette

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 15:22:32 pm »
I think her days might be too long for her. I find that no matter what kind of naps my DD takes, if she has a few 13-14hr days in a row, she will get OT and then have NWs and EWs.
What about capping the PM nap so that you can bring BT up a bit earlier? Even if she wakes up early, she will be more rested because of the earlier BT and then maybe you can stretch the day out after that?

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 15:48:47 pm »
Hmm. . . most days she already only takes 1.5 hours, and that's her longer nap.  I hate to see it shorter.  Could I maybe try to take 15 minutes off the morning nap and try to bring the whole day a little earlier?  And maybe keep the first A time around 3 hours instead of 3.5?

Bedtime is a HUGE battle with us.  No matter how early I start the BT routine, it's always at least 8 before she's asleep.  (Lately, much later.  :(  )

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 16:51:35 pm »
Yeah I totally understand about not wanting to cap the naps! Your plan sounds good.
Bedtime is a HUGE battle with us.  No matter how early I start the BT routine, it's always at least 8 before she's asleep.  (Lately, much later.    )

Is this because she's OT or UT? Is it always a battle here or just since the teething?

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 18:16:16 pm »
Well with the teething a  much bigger battle.  Normally, my gut says UT because she doesn't cry, she just doesn't sleep.  Unless I leave the room.  Then she cries.  But she usually stops crying when I come back and always eventually falls asleep in the crib.

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 18:28:40 pm »
Lol, if my Lo is UT, then she DOES cry! If she's OT, then there is a crib party and everyone is invited!

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 18:30:08 pm »
LOL.  Well, gee,maybe I have it backwards then.  Gah, I don't know what to do!

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 19:48:17 pm »
Well try your first plan (shortening the first A and nap) and see how that goes. :)

You could also be heading into the 2-1.

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 20:05:48 pm »
It does seem like she's having too long days.  I was going to suggest cutting the first nap to 45 mins then you should be able to shave a little off the second A time and then hopefully get a long pm nap and still be on track for an earlier bedtime.  So something like this:

630/7am - Wake
10-1045am - Nap 1
2-330pm - Nap 2
730pm - Bedtime

She sounds like she's OT right now so try and get on top of that first as pushing her too much in the morning will only lead to more OT.

Have a read of this thread

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

Also also pop over to the 2-1 transition thread as there's others going through the same as you so might be some good tips for you for when you need them.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=213594.270