Author Topic: Egg intolerence in EBF babies  (Read 4543 times)

tigerlilly905

Egg intolerence in EBF babies
« on: July 27, 2011, 19:27:01 pm »
Ds2 is MSPI though it would seem his intolerences are deeper then just dairy/soy. I'm wondering if it might be egg? If I cut out egg from my diet, is it possible for me to just eat the egg yolk? I think I remember reading somewhere that an egg allergy/intolerence is almost always to a protein found the in the egg white, not the yolk. 

Should I just stop eating eggs altogether? Or can I get by on just eating the yolks?

Thanks!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Egg intolerence in EBF babies
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 19:58:15 pm »
Unfortunately, what you heard isn't true :-\ Dylan reacted to egg yolk and egg white (though admittedly stronger to egg white). Egg yolk is much less common (which is why you can introduce egg yolk earlier than white) but can still cause a reaction.

Have you tried keeping a food journal? We discovered Dylan's mustard allergy that way. He was having random reactions at daycare and looking back at the menu mustard was the only common ingredient.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 21:33:37 pm »
Olly is also allergic to both, though again the white produced a much stronger reaction. I would stay away from eggs and then re-introduce the yolk first.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 21:43:29 pm »
Also, even if it is only the whites it is almost impossible to separate the two.  We have had reactions to both, but testing shows nothing.  There are so many things it could also be though, I would definitely keep a food journal to see if anything jumps out.
Heidi

tigerlilly905

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 00:49:08 am »
Thanks for the feedback! I'm just so stumped, and really frustrated. I feel like I have nothing to eat anymore :( And I LOOOVE eggs. We eat all organic, whole foods ect.  Once I discovered his MSPI it seemed like almost all his symptoms dramatically improved within 24hrs. It was amazing. We had about 1 month smooth sailing, and now I feel like he's developed some sort of new intolerence. Can that happen?

I thought of eggs, only b/c we eat A LOT of eggs - I mean, between DH, DS1 and myself we can easily eat 1 dozen/day (we live in the country next to a farm with fresh eggs ;) ) First his poops became mucusy and green again, now more recently his reflux sympotms have really intensified and he's got an awful bum rash. I'm convinced there's something else ???

Like I said, I just don't know, and I'm afraid to do a total ED, as I'm tandem nursing and I really don't want to compromise my supply :-\ 

Honestly, I only drink water.  I take a calcium supplement, my PNV and fish oil. I do eat pretty much all fruits/veg. Brown rice, lentils, Quinoa, oatmeal, eggs, olive oil and whatever organic meats we can get. That's my diet. I don't think it can get any more plain :(

I guess I'm just at a loss. There's no allergies/intolerences on either side of the family. Why does this happen?! We're sooo healthy, I just want Ds2 to be ok. I hate seeing him in pain :(

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:03 am »
I really hate to say this, but salicylate intolerance classic symptoms are bum rash and red cheeks and flared reflux, as well as mucous poo.    So you are gluten free already then?

tigerlilly905

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:37 am »
Eloise - Basically gluten free. I mean, the oatmeal & some of our rice packages say "may contain wheat", so I guess if it were a gluten intolerence could those things still bother him? Oh boy, Salicylate, huh?! That was my worst possible scenario :(  Maybe I will have to do a complete ED? He doesn't have the red cheeks, but all the other symptoms are right on the money. I read a bit about them, but perhaps I'll have to research it more seriously now. Do you have some links you would recommend? Can babies grow out of it?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:18 am »
I would consider an ED but the one to look at salicylates is awful, you ned to eliminate all similar groups - sals, amines and glutamates, preservatives and addtives as all are food chemicals and behave in the same way.  Of all the mentioned groups, salicyalte senstivity is the most common for peopleto react to (other than preservatives and additives).  So defo do alot of reading before looking at it  :o  But you have done this before for your first LO right?

all the links you need are at the bottom of this sticky:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

tigerlilly905

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 02:21:37 am »
Thanks hun. I've been doing some more research today and I think we'll have to go this route. :-\ I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed, but trying to stay optimistic... maybe this could help our whole family.  We all,to a certain extent, seem to have some of the symptoms associated w/ Salicylate intolerences. Yeesh...

Offline EloysH

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:57 am »
Its definantly helped out whole family and now all our diets will never be the same - for the better.  :)

If you need support I will be here.  ;)

The failsafe email groups and forum is great too.  The starting point would be to order the RPAH ELiminationDiet handbook from Australia and try to find a dietician that knows the diet.  :)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 13:33:23 pm »
Thank you thank you thank you Eloise! I'm completely overwhelmed ATM. DH read over the symptoms of Sal intolerence and it seems to be exactly issues faced within our family. Hypothyroidism (MIL, my mother & myself - DH has symptoms of it but is not medicated for it),  IBS (my mother), endocrine system issues (MIL, DH). Even more recently I realize I've been giving Ds1 Ibuprofen since he's teething molars/k9's, and he's started to do this bizzar thing banging his head multiple times on wall ect. - That was also a symptom of Sal's!!! I couldn't believe it!

I'm sure I'm going to have LOTS of questions.  I am going to be sure it's not gluten or eggs - so I will go completely off of those first. But in the meantime I think we're going to figure out our plan of attack on Sal's., b/c I think we'll have to start that sooner rather than later.

Quick ? - I know for sure Ds2 is MSPI, so on the Sal's diet I will have to be sure to avoid all dairy as well, right? It will still work if I stay away from dairy I'm assuming.

Also, my thyroid medication is essential ATM (although I've been trying to get off of it..) but I know it's got colourant in it. What does one do in that situation.

We eat an all natural/organic diet as it is. I'm assuming we can continue that while doing the RPAH diet... although I'm afraid this will get expensive :-\

I guess I'll jump over to the thread about the RPAH diet and repost my questions there?

Thanks again, my mind is just spining!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 00:10:44 am »
Hey love,   Let's do your questions here, then we can keep the integrity of the threads. Wow the case for a sals intolerance does sound compelling.

In a nutshell, all allergens - dairy soy wheat nuts fish should be eliminated for the first part of the diet. As we are trying to determine a chemical sensitivity then we can't have these confusing the picture. Next, sals, amines glutamates additives and colurs all need to go until baseline is reached - about 4 weeks. For the breastfeeding Mother they usually recommend the moderate level of the diet so you can eat amines, glutamates and sals form the moderate categories. Howeve after 4 weeks of that I found that Kai was much better but still havinga large mucus poo about one a week. So I cut back to only one serve of moderates per day and then we cracked it - symptom free!  

Can I qualify though, he was on reflux meds from 3 weeks of age. Those definantly took away his
upper Tract pain - once we found the right dose. The diet took away the digestive pain issues. I would ask you to consider where his pain is arising, if he is back arching, swallowing down slot he will have a sore throat, of the reflux is anatomical as well as food intolerance driven then in
My opinion no amount of rpah diet would take that pain away. We deco needed the combo of the two. I feel the Side effect of the meds was a slower gut. We dealt with that through probiotics. Other supplements. To me, a slower gut is better than a baby in pain.   Just wanted to put that out there, of course every baby is different and I know with your experience you will sort out the best course of action,  eventually :)
 It
Would really be worth trying to find a dietician or naturopath versed in the diet. Where r u in the world? again?
As for the colours in theedication- potentially it could stop you guys from getting to baseline symptom free. Is there anyway you can get it compounded at a compounding chemist?

Many many hugs, it's a long road with rpah but very rewarding.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:26:06 pm by EloysH »

Offline EloysH

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 00:16:58 am »
You can stay organic. Just bear in mind they have a higher level
Of sals so you might have to be stricter than
Moderate to get to baseline.   Xx

tigerlilly905

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 14:05:05 pm »
Great info and advice, thank you. I find most of Ds2's problems are with his lower digestion (gas, cramps, irregular abnormal mucous poops) His reflux flares within 30mins-1hr after he eats, that's when he'll cramp and spit up. As he's nursing, besides getting a few burps out, he's fine.

I'm in Ontario, Canada.  There are quite a few Naturopaths here, although I don't know if they will be well versed in Sals. 

Thank you for letting me know about the Moderate Sal diet for nursing mothers. I did think the complete ED was a bit extreme while bf'ing, and was afraid of my supply being effected. I will look at the moderate/low food list and make a grocery list for next week. 

Avocados are extremely high I see, and those are a staple in our diet due to the good fats. If it is Sals, I've probably been doing more harm then good eating them ::)

Off topic, your Ds2 is almost exactly the same age as Ds1. Neat :)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 15:17:31 pm »
Just wanna send a huge *hug* to you

I had to go Dairy, Soy, Egg and low sals for Alyssa and it still didnt help us, dietion said cause i still had gluten
it was so hard on my diet and unfortnatly alyssa got very bad and we did have to stop feeding

although for us Sals, dairy and soy are known issues (I have an asprin allergy, lactose intollerence and soy allergy and husband has a known allergy to salicylate acid) eggs and gluten are bizzare to me why those

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux