Author Topic: No luck using sippy cup  (Read 3378 times)

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
No luck using sippy cup
« on: July 28, 2011, 14:05:10 pm »
My DS is almost 8 mths and occasionally picks up the suppy cup but only chews on the spout and has no interest in drinking from it. What should I do? I give it to him 1-2 times per day with just a little formula when he is in his highchair. He will take some of s small bottle with his meal but not teh sippy cup.

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: No luck using sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 15:45:55 pm »
I'd start with water first along with meals.  Is it a free flowing cup (no valve) as they are easier to use. You could also try an open cup

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 15:50:46 pm »
Keep trying, he'll get it.  It took my LOs closer to a year to get the hang of a sippy.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 19:45:32 pm »
My LO only took sips from a sippy until about a year old.  What really helped was to leave a sippy cup out containing water only (no juice it would really rot their teeth if you did this).  Once he was moving around he would start to pick up the cup himself and drink from it. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 20:21:18 pm »
Agree with PP's- keep trying; use water and don't be surprised if it takes a few months before he really catches on.

DD2 is almost 11 mo and can proficiently drink out of a sippy cup with a fast slowing straw, but she can't use the spout ones.  She just figured it out about a week ago.  As an added benefit, she can drink from a kids cup and straw when we are out, so we don't have to take along her sippy.

Offline sbalcome1980

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 13:13:53 pm »
It took DS almost a month after we offered to get the hang of the sippy cup.  We tried a few different kinds, you might have to do this.  He was like your LO and would just "chew" on it.  Eventually we got one that had a silicone tip (like the nipple for a bottle) and he understood that better.  Also, we had to put more than a little liquid in his cup or else it wasn't getting to the tip and into his mouth because he didn't know to tip it up.  He does now, but at first, we had to put lots of water in it.  GOod luck, he will get the hang of it.  I kept thinking "will he ever learn to use this?" and then one day he just did.

Offline Zefyra

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:53:50 am »
i posted about a sippy cup and 6month LO-my problem was the type of cup. I switched to the cheap tommee tippee (£1.40) like the other mums suggested and it worked for me...before this, LO just tried chewing on the old one (more expensive too), this one was easier to get the hang of.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 21:09:54 pm »
Agree, maybe try the water. If he has formula from a bottle and is used to that he may think why bother with the sippy when the bottle will be along soon!

Offline Lila11

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 19:33:42 pm »
My son started drinking from a sippy cup when he was 1,Isn't it too early for your son?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:32:40 am »
It's recommended in the UK to give water with meals as soon as they start eating so I'd say 8 months is fine, he didn't take much though till we weaned off breastfeeding.  I guess he was getting a lot more liquids that way than I realised.  I think it's only little sips needed to help avoid constipation to start with.  It's a good idea to start on a cup asap even just for water IMO because it's considered to be a good idea to be off bottles (if FF) by the age of 1 to avoid tooth damage so introducing a cup when they're still flexible to the idea is a good plan I reckon.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:19 am »
And he's fairly young, so just don't worry about it.  Let him have it, get used to it but don't worry about how much he's using it.  He'll get there.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 18:04:36 pm »
Yeah that's kind of what I meant, no harm introducing especially when it barely matters whether they use it or not. 

Offline sunshine29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 14:44:14 pm »
I started giving a sippy cup pretty early too. It took him a while to figure it out and now sometimes he plays/chews it and sometimes he's drinks properly. Lately he's been taking lots of liquid into his mouth and letting at least half dribble out. At 10mos, we just started trying to give him his formula in the sippy cup in place of his afternoon bottle and it seems to be going ok. I think it just takes perseverence and lots of patience!:)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 19:59:15 pm »
We introduced a sippy around 7-8 months and Z struggled to use it after being BF his whole life so we moved to a straw based sippy/bottle of water which he took too really fast. Now at 10 months he drinks from all sippys/cups etc. Once he got the hang of the straw and started to like water he was away. It will happen hun, just keep trying diff things and reoffering :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 22:35:04 pm »
My DS gets that water comes from a cup only if I hold it and more like a game. Himself he just spills water and chucks the cup, bangs it, flips it, etc. I'm having a hard time leaving him at the nursery as he does not take bottles and does not take a cup from them either. he was always breast fed and now does not take anything else, so I pick him up dehydrated. At home he takes sips of water from a sippy if I hold it and I gave him some expressed milk that way but he only took tiny amount. I am taking a month to settling him into the nursery but have to have this sorted by the end.   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 22:38:18 pm by katyusha »