Author Topic: Transitioning to milk  (Read 1111 times)

Offline newmama12

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Transitioning to milk
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »
My little guy just turned one a week ago. We've been slowly transitioning him to cow's milk b/c he gets gassy from it. Doesn't seem to bother him, but...still. I don't want him gassy. I mix it with either formula or BM and he has only gotten up to 2.5 oz of cow's milk b/c it makes him gassy.

Should I keep up at it or try something else? If something else...what? Soy? Rice?
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »
There is some really good info and options on this thread:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185707.0

With DS2 we went to goat's milk first since it is easier to digest, so I would try that if there are no dairy allergies present.  He is on cow's milk now at 15mos but we added it in slowly since his tummy was a bit more sensitive than my DS1's (who went straight to cow's milk without issue at 12mos).
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Re: Transitioning to milk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 20:20:41 pm »
my daughter just started on silk soy milk...so far she has had no issues (dairy allergy) and it has the same amount of calcium in it as milk ;) we are currently only on one feeding of soy milk...the rest is still nursing at the moment...slowly weaning as well..good luck
<3 Melissa

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Transitioning to milk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:04:05 am »
I think it's worth talking to a doctor before ruling out cow's milk.  It's a great source of vitamins, minerals and fat for kids. 

Also are you sure it's the milk making him gassy?  What are the symptoms?  Could it be caused by the bottle or cup you're using? 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/