Author Topic: Till what age does pat/shh works?  (Read 826 times)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Till what age does pat/shh works?
« on: July 29, 2011, 20:22:02 pm »
So we've been doing pat/shh for around two months now. Well, it's more shh and a hand on his shoulder and it has been working for us quite well. For most of the naps he is going down independently and has two naps during the day of 1.5-2h.
In the last few days I notice that something is different. Whenever I do need to go in I feel like the shh stimulates him and that when I am just silent and putting my hand on his shoulder he is doing better. Till what age would pat/shh would be appropriate?
I am terrified that I need to start pu/pd as it was so hard on me the last time I tried it.

Is there another way that I can continue the sleep training?
I mean, how do I move on from the pat/shh? What is the next step to gradually help him be more independent?  
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Till what age does pat/shh works?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 00:53:50 am »
(HUGS) We are finding the same thing too, sometimes the shh/patting is not cutting it any more and it irritates DS. Sometimes patting on the bottom with pressure on his side works. I am really just hijacking your thread and tagging along as we are in a similar boat :-* I think at some point we are going to have to move to PD/WO...I am dreading it!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 15:27:01 pm »
Sara, have you noticed a difference between day and night? I just noticed it today, it's like he is ok with it for naps, but if he has a NW it drives him bonkers!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 20:29:49 pm »
Actually yes, even now he will still sometimes respond to patting in the cot for naps, and sometimes for BT (but he is usually good at self settling at BT) but not NW anymore :( Makes it even more frustrating and confusing  ::) ::)

I think maybe at NW they et to a point where they want to settle themselves, but cant, and the patting becomes distracting maybe?...
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:02:00 am »
I'll be honest and say that at 3+ yrs I can still use the pat part of Sh-pat to get my DS2 to sleep.  Now instead of sh though he wants his "rock an roll song, Mama" (the kids song Morningtown) which I used to sing to him while crying with him while he screamed with his reflux :'( 
Tweak your Sh/Pat to suit your child.  Tracy always said that you have to do what works for you and your family.  If your child gets wound up with the sh & the patting works, then do that. 
Sara, I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that the patting may be distracting o/night.  Maybe just the pressure of your hand on him?  It's been a while since I've been doing this regularly so I'm not feeling very certain on my suggestions :-[

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:07:40 am »
Yeah, it's been awhile for me too, but I remember the shh part always drove Spencer nuts so I used a fan for some white noise and patted.  Then it progressed to just a hand on the bum, but I did use it for a long time (I guess until 16 months and she was in a BGB, so then I just started laying beside her - thank goodness NW are rare as it is only a crib with the side off!)

I know for a fact that even at this age, with her touchy/spirited personality that WI/WO would never fly, in fact I didn't ever bother trying PU/PD because I just knew it was not going to work for her. 
Heidi

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 17:02:43 pm »
Sara, I think we are both in the same situation that pat/shh doesn't work for them for the NWs, but at other times do. I am just going to take you ladies on the advice and see what is best for DS.
Thanks.