Author Topic: IS it dairy and if so how do I wean?!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
IS it dairy and if so how do I wean?!
« on: August 01, 2011, 18:36:57 pm »
ok so my dd was massively gassy as an infant...I stopped eating dairy at around 3 months and just recently started working it back into my diet which she seemed to do fine with...my ped then suggested to slowly starting giving her yogurt and small amounts of cows milk to see how she reacted.  At first she seemed fine...last week I attempted cows milk...she wasn't very interested and MAYBE took in an ounce over the course of a day...I tried for maybe 3 days...now all of a sudden over the last few days she has been more gassy and her bm's have become very mushy where as before they were always pretty firm to the point where she'd grunt when she went...now she doesn't ever do that and it's mush runnier.  Could it be the dairy?  she has NO rashes or eczema..never has...we had the poop test done months ago and there was NO blood but I also wasn't really eating any dairy so I'd assume there wasn't going to be.  Any thoughts if this sounds like a dairy allergy?  or perhaps this mushy bm is normal and the firm was not?  though still wouldn't explain the being more gassy.  its not affecting her sleep as it did when she was an infant.  she is now 11 months old and I want to start weaning her but just not sure what to offer in place of nursing...should i try the milk again?  also as I said she isn't too interested in it..she'll drink juice and water but the milk she makes a face and pushes it away..she will do this with my milk too btw...refuses bottle or sippy of my breastmilk...only takes it from me..makes working very hard...another reason why I am looking to wean.  any advice would be greatly appreciated on both issues of whether this IS dairy and what is my alternative AND how to i deal with her refusing to drink anything but juice or water?  thanks ladies...lost without you  ;)
<3 Melissa

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: IS it dairy and if so how do I wean?!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 19:24:11 pm »
Murray never had bad skin etc with dairy but would have very squashy poos, be windy and a snotty nose (what a lovely picture, eh!!) - never affected his sleep either.  He had a test done for milk allergy or something but that came back fine (apparently it needs to be tested in lab an hour after the sample, which could not happen). 

Murray would take Neocate which we used in cooking, then with pureed fruit and now can drink straight (and LOVES!!).  I only give him water to drink, and he had Neocate once a day when on his dairy free diet.  He has recently re-started dairy and seems okay with it :) 

Btw as a child I would never drink milk and only took it on cereal - turns out I had a milk intolerence so that is probably why I rejected it. 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 19:40:26 pm »
Neocate?  never heard of it...where do you get that?  hard to determine if it IS that tiny bit of dairy I gave her or if it's just having introduced the table foods...trying to slow things down and only giving her the same assortment of things each day then seeing if her bm's get more solid and starting over maybe
<3 Melissa

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 20:45:48 pm »
Neocate is a dairy-free formula that can be prescribed.  I would stop the dairy again and try again in a few weeks.  It's hard trying to diagnose as things like teething can cause soft poos, etc too
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 20:51:55 pm »
yea i just need to find an alternative for at least the mid day feeding...right now i am leaving work to go feed her and I am already coming in late with her morning nap and a.m. feeding..it's been crazy..like today i last tried to nurse her at 11...that was 5 hrs from her morning wake up feed and she barely seemed interested...most days she is but today she was distracted...and now it's almost 5 pm that's almost 6 hrs is that too long?  I just don't know what else to do..she refuses my milk in any other form a.k.a. bottle sippy etc
<3 Melissa