Author Topic: What to do for two hours  (Read 1603 times)

Offline jussiemariee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 02, 2011, 21:57:07 pm »
I got some great advice on the sleep forum regarding my dd (4mo today) sleep problem.  Inc a times from 1.5 hours to two hours.  Did that today and wow she fell right asleep for naps, no crying, or anything but now I ask, what do all of you do with your lo for two hours?

I don't mean to think you are entertaining them the whole time, but she gets board sitting in her chair, on the floor with toys and the such real fast, and I am not sure what to do with her.  If I just let her sit, she start to act sleepy so I have to keep her engaged somehow.

Any input would be welcome

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: What to do for two hours
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:15:52 am »
Trying to think back to that age!! LOL ;D

For 'equipment' we had a play mat (that could be used on the tummy with toys to reach for or laying down with toys above), an exersaucer, a jolly jumper, and a swing.  We used to rotate through those during A times (not from one to the other in succession, but during the course of the day he was in each one), with the exersaucer being the most popular.  We read stories and sang songs, went for walks when it was nice out, went to the park or the mall...  I also had a high chair that had a slight recline position available, and I used to bring him into wherever I was (kitchen, bedroom, etc.) and chat with him while I was doing whatever chore needed to be done (dishes, laundry, etc.).  I would put a couple of toys on the tray, but he really just liked watching me and listening to me babble (oh, look at Daddy's socks!  They are SO BIG!  And now look at Dylan's socks.  They're little bitty socks!).  We also gave him naked time a lot - first thing in the morning or after bath.  Just put him naked on a blanket and let him kick his little heart out and try to eat his feet ;D

hth!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline jussiemariee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:38 am »
Ok, so I doing some of the right things.  She does not have a play mat but will play with toys I spread out on the floor.  She sits in her bouncy seat and "helps" fold laundry and cook dinner.

I thought about getting a walker for her (sorta like the exersaucer) but I was worried about her sitting upright on her own for very long.  We read books and go for walks although in central florida it can by difficult. 

I guess I will have to do more of the on her own activities at the beginning of her a time and more mommy activities towards the end, or she gets board and decides she is sleepy

thanks for your input, anybody else have other suggestions please chime in

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:39:02 am »
My kids always loved the exersaucer...it was a bit OS for Spencer, but Masyn loved to be in it.

Really, I just carted Masyn around with whatever I was doing!  Vacuuming with a baby in a sling or snugli, laid her on a blanket while I did dishes, on the bathmat if I wanted a shower or bath (as long as she wasn't rolling yet!) and just talked to her all the time.  We have a massive dog, so for safety either the baby or the dog needed to be with me at all times so I took the baby.  I think it is one reason Masyn PT so easy, she had be going with me to the bathroom her whole life!  

We were in a new house with #2, and were able to pen the dog with baby gates, but Spencer hated being set down anywhere so I had to get stuff done while she slept.
Heidi

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:50:26 am »
we would run a quick errand or i would just move DS around with me while doing chores around the house
heather

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:12 am »
My LO loved loved his play mat with mirrors and little rattle like toys hanging from it and his swing! Sometimes I wish he would still lay on his mat. lol