Author Topic: Please help with solids  (Read 4076 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Please help with solids
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:40 am »
I know babies shouldnt have more than 2 oz of water and I'm not sure about Juice
I'm pretty sure this is prior to 6 months.  I think once solids are started they can have as much water as they want.  Maybe this is contributing the the amount of milk he is taking because he needs the fluid?
I agree with Laura that I don't bother with juice, bad for teeth.

I also used to use a metal colander over a pan of water for steaming until I eventually bought an on the hob steam pan which is brilliant.  I would say though that broccoli doesn't always steam very well, sometimes mine has gone a bit brown and I think to preserve the greeness it needs to be wet.  All other veg steam great though.

After raising 4 kids to adulthood I cant believe I never heard of it.
Guidelines change every five minutes don't they?
As most adults also have too high a salt intake it's probably a great way to improve the health of the whole family by being aware and cutting back a bit.  I've always boiled pasta in salted water but not any more since DS came along.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:53 am »
I remember saying to my sister (who is a doctor, not a paed though) about the salt guidelines and she wasn't aware of them!  She has a 7 and 4 year old and said she didn't worry too much.  I don't think her kids ate as much as my hungry horace though!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:48 am »
MamaC - I am moving Alexandra to 3 bottles to increase her solids... she is starting to show less interest in the two middle of the day bottles that she has now...

This is what I will do:

Wake around 630am and bottle of 8 ozs
Breakfast about 90 minutes later of cereal/fruit
Nap #1 - will be her shorter nap - about 930 (for an hour-ish)
Lunch of solids/water in sippy around 1130am
Bottle of 8 ozs around 2pm, nap #2 around 215/230pm - 4pm
Dinner of solids/water in sippy around 5pm
Bottle of 8 ozs at 730, bed at 745pm.

Looks great on paper doesn't it ::)

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 05:07:12 am »
It sure does.. I did this today, got a bit messed up since DH doesnt know what time M eats in the night....

WU 7:00 (should have had a bottle since his only NF was at 1:15 but DH didnt know)
Breakfast 8:00 cereal and fruit
10:00 A couple of those tiny finger puffs
Lunch 11:15 carrots (got mad at being spoon fed)
Bottle #1 11:30
Nap until 1:55
Snack 2:30 Spaghetti, fed himself ( I was hungry, so decided to give him some)
Bottle #2 4:00
Dinner 6:00 (took me longer than I thought to make a new recipe) Potato cakes, but wasnt really hungry
Bottle #3 7:30
Bed 8:00

So hows that looking? Am I feeding too much?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:08:47 am by Mama_C »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 14:07:36 pm »
Not if he is eating it all :)  Down to 3 or 4 bottles is awesome!

Offline Mama_Mia

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 15:33:59 pm »
He got 4 bottles yesterday because he had 1 NW at 1:15 yesterday morning. Now today he had a NW at 3:30 this morning and I gave him 5 oz. But then he woke again at 6:15, so maybe I should have given him a full 8 oz since he only had 3 bottles during the day?  I really cant see fitting another bottle in during the day, so I dont know whats going to happen, trying to get rid of that night feed.

Lemonthyme... I love your recipes. I made the potato cakes yesterday, wicked easy and today I am going to make the salmon and spinach fishcakes. You did say they freeze well right? Great recipes, soft enough to be gummed yet they hold together well for M to feed himself. Thanks a ton !!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 17:15:58 pm »
He should be fine with 3 bottles of 8 ozs each... will he take a sippy cup?  I am trying A on 3 bottles today - 8oz, 8oz, 8.5oz.  For her lunch and dinner, I will warm a couple ounces of formula and put it in her sippy to wash down her food ;)

As for that night feed, he might sleep through it once you are getting more solids into him... I found that A woke more during the night while she was really sick and not taking solids - formula just doesn't fill them for long at this age!

Offline Mama_Mia

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 17:22:03 pm »
He drinks out of anything you hand him, including things you dont hand him, like my soda pop. He got a hold of one this morning that I had left out last night. I really need to start watching that.
As for that night feed, he might sleep through it once you are getting more solids into him...
Thats what I am hoping. He used to always wake at midnight, but for the last 3 nights he has been making it later and later. I was quite shocked that he lasted until 3:30 this morning.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 17:24:56 pm »
Sounds like good progress! Well done!  Hopefully with the reduced milk he will eat more and you will be able to drop that nightfeed really soon!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 17:31:17 pm »
LOL!  Alexandra has been known to dive for a coffee mug!  You have to be quick around here :)

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 18:26:08 pm »
Hi MamaC - don't worry about how much water he has, as it's summer he'll need more fluids and FF babies especially need water when it's hot!

DS is getting through a sippy cup to a cup 1/2 of water with meals and between meals plus all his formula in a day, and he's fine  :)

I agree about weaning the night feeds - he'll soon sleep through  8) And please don't give him juice yet as that will just make him more thirsty  :(

Good luck with the weaning  :-*