Author Topic: Is my baby sleeping too much during the day?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline LilReese44

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is my baby sleeping too much during the day?
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:59 pm »
Lately nighttime has been a big issue for my 7 week old.  A few weeks ago before I really started getting strict with BW routines my LO would go down at about 9:30 pm after a bath and sleep until around 2:30, breastfeed, then sleep again until about 7 am.  Well between her 6 week growth spurt and really starting to implement a 3 hr EASY night time has been all wonky!  Do you think she is taking too long of naps during the day?  She has been waking up at 1 am on the nose for the last 4 or 5 nights and I know its not hunger because she has proved she can go for longer stretches.  Anyway, I finally tracked a days worth so let me know if you see any glaring issues!

E   6:30 AM      BF
A   6:45 AM      diaper change (poop/pee)
E   7:30 AM      BF (vomited first feed)
S   7:45 AM      nap (basically fell asleep on her own and stayed out for 2 hours)

E   9:45 AM      BF
A   10:00 AM      diaper change (poop/pee)
S   11:00 AM      nap (put her down at 10:30, didn't fall asleep until 11--she fought it some)
S   12:00 PM      woke from nap, put her down again in the swing

E   12:45 AM      BF
A   1:11 PM      diaper change (small poop/pee)
S   1:40 PM      nap (began winddown at 1:30;  gave her  binky and  fell asleep on her own)
S   2:50 PM      woke up from nap; gave binky and played white noise to get her back down

E   3:20 PM      BF
A   3:45 PM      diaper change (pee)
S   4:20 PM      nap (began winddown at 4:13; fell asleep on her own with the binky)
S   5:00 PM      woke early, put her in the swing and she fell asleep again at 5:20

E   5:50 PM      BF
A   6:00 PM      diaper change (poop/pee)
A   6:35 PM      Bath
S   7:10 PM      Bed (began winddown at 6:50; gave binky and babysat her until deep sleep)

E   7:50 PM      BF
S   8:15 PM      Down for the night

E   9:45 PM      BF (she woke hungry); diaper change (poop/pee)
S   10:00 PM      Went right back to bed

E   2:00 AM      BF (NW at 1 am and after of an hour of trying to get her back to sleep just BF)
S   2:25 AM      Went right back to sleep

5:00 AM      NW although not hungry; went back to sleep about 30 min of patting and binky
   6:00 AM      NW; tried to get her to go back to sleep but she was in and out of it until 7 am

**Just a note: I let her nap wherever (the bouncy seat, swing, etc.) because I know there will be times when we can't be home with the crib and I want her still to be able to sleep.  Nighttime is strickly in the bassinet though.

Offline elmarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 263
Re: Is my baby sleeping too much during the day?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 15:11:46 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW  :-*

At this young age is it normal for LO to be awake for only 1-1.15h in between sleeping and 15-18 hours sleep per 24h is the average.  Remember they are still settling into a routine.  At this age they will still have 3 long naps a day.  This is the sort of routine you are looking at:

7 wake and feed
8.15 Swaddle and lay baby in cot (may take 15-20min to fall asleep)
10 Feed H
11.15 2nd nap
1pm feed
2.15 pm nap
4 feed
5.15pm catnap (40-50min)
6.00pm 1st cluster feed weeks.  Dreamfeed will continue to more and less 7-8months.
7.30 Another catnap
8.00 2nd clusterfeed
In bed after cluster feed
10-11 pm dreamfeed

A lack of routine can often cause babies not settle down easily.  It is extremely important to start an adequate sleep routine and using the 4s to get him to go down relaxed (p.181 BWSAYP Tracy explaines how to do this). The 4s stands for
Sitting
Setting the stage
Swaddling
Shh/patting (when necessary)

A time will increase slowly and the 2nd cluster feed can be dropped around 8 I know it is so hard to get that routine going but with a good routine you and lo with have a peaceful night.  It will take time but persevere with it, it will get better   :)

Offline LilReese44

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 17:37:47 pm »
I appreciate your response but you didn't really answer my question...at all.

I have been following a 3 hour EASY routine and do understand how important it is for helping them learn to sleep.  My real question is --do you think my 7 week old is sleeping too much during the day and therefore having a harder time at night?  If I truly watch her cues and put her down for a nap when she is yawning/slightly fussy it usually is only after about 45 min of awake time.  Therefore most of her naps end up being 1.5-2 full hours.

Based on the EASY schedule I posted does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:31:35 am »
My lo is about the same age and she does similar-  I don't think it is too much day sleep. I seem to remember Tracy recommending a maximum of 6-6.5 hours/day naps so as not to rob from day sleep. Also we tend to wake after 2 hours unless DD is OT or has napped badly previously so that her longer stretches of sleep are at night....ideally!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline elmarie

• Showing Appreciation 263
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 15:35:01 pm »
No she isn't. In fact her naps are perfect! I gave the 24h avr sleep as indication of what it should be.  As she gets older and EASY gets more established the naps will become more predictable.    :).   

It is good that you watch her cues of getting tired.  45 min is about right because you can then start your winding down routine and get her down for naps within the 1-1.15h A time.  At this A it is important to avoide her getting OT....

HTH  ;D