Author Topic: skin reaction to garam masala  (Read 4159 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
skin reaction to garam masala
« on: August 06, 2011, 21:14:05 pm »
DS is almost 7 months and is a self feeder (or BLW).  A week or two ago I made oven baked potato wedges and decided to sprinkle some garam masala spice on them prior to baking.  I had no concerns about this as I know many other people give LOs curry and spices plus I'd been on a weaning course where they made a lovely chicken curry cous cous.

Well, he chomped away on the potato wedges and other offerings for his lunch and seemed happy, then suddenly started crying.  It didn't seem like loss of interest (or fullness) in the food but something else.  He wanted out of his highchair.  I gave him a wash (messy business self feeding) and noticed red blotches coming up around his mouth and chin and on his wrists and arms (or possibly more like red blotches with white centers like hives).  It seemed related to where the food had touched him and I assume a reaction to the garam masala (although palms of hands were ok!?).
I washed him several more times to really ensure it was all off and monitored the rash which was gone by bed time.

He calmed quickly after being washed and cuddled.  He didn't seem ill, no breathing or tummy problems (no sickness or bad nappy) and was pretty happy the rest of the day.

Anyone have any advice or guidance on this sort of skin reaction please?
Should I make sure he never has those sort of spices again or would it be ok for him to eat it as long as he doesn't touch it?
Is it worth doing a small patch test with the spice to see if it reacts again or should I see a doctor about it?
Do you think this could be an indication that there might be other allergies/intolerances to food or perhaps he just has sensitive skin?

Thanks

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: skin reaction to garam masala
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 21:28:53 pm »
I'm not totally sure and am no doctor, but I have a similar experience with some spicy crisps.  I ended up with a rash, like hives as you describe, on my hand and it swelled up.  Have also had it on my face.

I've since had the same crisps again and had no reaction, so I'm not sure what was going on.

If I were you I'd probably try giving it in some other form, mixed in with something else, to see what happens, like in a curry, before giving it again in a more "raw" form.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Re: skin reaction to garam masala
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 15:09:02 pm »
its probabaly an issue with a single spice but garam massala is a blend so the only way to know would be to try each spice listed

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux