Author Topic: Have you had success using w2s on 30min naps????  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Claudiamummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Have you had success using w2s on 30min naps????
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
Good morning all,

Well DD and I are on day 4 on starting a proper routine (4hr easy) itsnot been too bad really although this morning was a bit shaky lol

I tweaked dd A time to 2 hours and thought we had the 30min naps beat, but it turns out it was justa fluke from the vaccinations!
Ssshpat is improving matters, I want to try and avoid the 20mins of crying...I have attempted w2s in the past but unsure I saw results....has anyone had any luck using on 30 naps, if so what was the time you actually did it? I have seen the infofor 45 min but my little monkey can't even make it to that! :-))

Our naps go like this
9-s
9.30 start to wake up
9.30-9.55 I let her try to resettle (she used to do this but has stopped the past few days)
9.55- 10.25/30 shhh pat httj gets dd back to sleep

Today I am letting her have an extra bit of time till 11.30 as we had a few false starts with a 5.55 wake up/ the a tiny snooze of about ten mins then back awake!!! ( this is unusual)

Dd has been on 30min naps for about three long months!!  But happy I can at least get a bit more with the shhh pat!!

Final thoughts....White noise....when is it considered a prop dd can fall asleep without it, but I do think it helps on the resettling.

Luckily nightimes are fine

Would love to hear 30min nap success stories

Thanks a million

Claire

Love and adore my perfect little textbook/touchy DD
Born April 10th 2011...thank you to Dh for such an amazing gift after only 1 year of marriage!

Offline Activa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Have you had success using w2s on 30min naps????
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 14:50:06 pm »
I use a white noise machine for my DD. I figure it helps drown out some of the other sounds in the house. Get one that has a setting so that it will go off after they are in a deep sleep. When you want to eliminate it, turn the volume down a little bit every few days. Eventually you won't need it. But from my recollecting of the bw it's okay to use one especially if it's part of the WD.

As for the w2s in 30 min naps. Try doing it at the 20-25 min mark. Maybe stay in the room ( out of sight) during the first few try's so that you can get the timing right. That way you are also there if they wake to much and you can httj to get them back into a deep sleep.

That's what I'm trying right now. I have a 21wk doing the same thing. Cross our fingers for some success!

Offline Claudiamummy

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 16:15:28 pm »
HI Activa,

Thanks for the reply....

hopefully we can get some btdt stories on the w2s for the 30 min nap monster ;)
today has been a MESS, tears alround (DD and me!)..but back into it tomorrow!!

Good luck....keep following this so you can pick up tips and let me know how you get on
Claire

Born April 10th 2011...thank you to Dh for such an amazing gift after only 1 year of marriage!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:10:04 am »
I used W2S on 35min naps and it worked abut 60% of the time, when it didnt I then tried HTTJ and well really anything else to get DS to stay or get back to sleep.

I would sneak in around the 20-23min mark (you will need to experiment with the best timing) and barely stir your LO. I then would hide and hang around for the next 20 or so mins to see it it worked. If the jolts came at ~30mins I would be ready to HTTJ or apply pressure.

How old is your LO?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Claudiamummy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:06 am »
hi zacsmummee dd is 17 weeks. We started 4 hour easy last week, and i have upped her A tome to two hours...

she used to resettle on her ONLY decent nap, which was in the morning, but now she has stopped doing it.... She has never properly slept in the afternoon.... Trying to get her into the two hr naps, not sure if I should wait for her to try and resettle and wake up OR beat her to it and be ready to relax her.... I am worried she may become dependent on me.... We are blessed that her night sleeping is amazing... And I don't want to get her in a position where she needs me for that????
Claire

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 19:33:31 pm »
These short naps are in a large part developmental. They are sorting out their day sleep. Also 17 weeks is a rough time. You are in the middle of a developmental leap..and heading towards a possible large GS around 4 months.

You could give her another week to adjust to the new routine, and if this doesnt work, and she is not able to resettle herself you could look at trying W2S. If you sneak in, barely stir (she doesnt wake up) and it works then she wont be relying on you. You are just tricking the brain really by putting her back into light sleep and avoiding the transition which is tough on some LOs. I suspect if she is waking before 45mins that the jolts may be waking her. Swaddling helped us a bit as did W2S and HTTJ. This never caused DS to be reliant on us, we are teaching them and helping them through the transition.

TBH it is likely there will come a time she needs you for night sleep anyway be it sickness, teething, developmental changes such as learning to sit. Sure if you were rocking her back to sleep each time she woke you would be creating a prop. But Shh/pat, W2S and HTTJ are not props and I don't see this affecting your LOs night sleep. :-*

http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=156
http://blogginaboutbabies.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/wonder-week-19/
***Sara***

Offline Claudiamummy

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 20:25:33 pm »
Thansk so much for this...those links are fabulous, really interesting...i forget sometimes how much work she has

DD has been like this snce she was about 2 weeks old ;-(....she used to do a semi decent nap in the morning (she would always wake but would re-settle) but now even that has gone!! poor LO is shattered...bless her

Yeah, I know what about nightime sleep...just enjoying the calm before it breaks LoL

Can i ask 2 quick questions pelase
.....if I DO manage to get DD back to sleep...should I let her sleep through a feed (instinct is telling me no)
.....If I have been trying for an hour, and DD is still awake, should I get her up...and if so, when should she go back to sleep? (this would probabaly result in a sleep through a feed?)

DD current awake time 2 hours (eyes open to eyes closed)

Thanks again....

we have weaned her off a swaddle (we had to as we went on a VERY hot holiday) but I will just try and get her through it
Claire

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 22:00:12 pm »
Personally I would as long as it isn't too long after it. If she is gaining weight well and has no problems feeding then 15-30mins wont make much of a diff. The 4 hour E is a guide really. :) - But if your gut says not to then you know your LO best :-*
For us if I tried for 30mins and it was a no go I would AP the nap ie get him to sleep however I could. This was because it was more important for me at that time to get the nap and prevent major OT. If you cant get your LO to sleep for an hour yes I would abandon the nap...but maybe jsut do 30mins of quiet A time and watch her closely, she may need to go back to sleep pretty quick in which case you could feed before the nap (just not to sleep)

Does that help :-\

***Sara***